The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

dog shedding in weird patterns on butt

tssclay

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
i’m not sure if the picture will show up but it’s like a line where the shedding stops and starts. he’s a black dog but where it is shedding it looks like fluffy brown fur. it pulls out really easy and he doesn’t even notice if i tug a chunk out. he has no skin problems. this just started. is it normal?
upload_2022-1-1_4-5-35.jpeg

Is that not just the under coat moulting?? If you brush it out and the skin looks healthy underneath and it's not leaving bald patches or anything I'd say it's probably normal... but I am not a coat/skin expert by any means so maybe others will have more experienced comments or advice.
I'm sure there were some groomers on this forum that may know more?

Is that not just the under coat moulting?? If you brush it out and the skin looks healthy underneath and it's not leaving bald patches or anything I'd say it's probably normal... but I am not a coat/skin expert by any means so maybe others will have more experienced comments or advice.
I'm sure there were some groomers on this forum that may know more?
thanks i didn’t even think about brushing him:rolleyes: he hates being brushed and he has a normally really short coat but it’s getting longer so i probably just need to brush him

Some dogs tolerate grooming better if you smear wet dog food, pate or squeezy cheese on your fridge door for them to lick while you brush. The fridge is easily cleaned after.

Just do short sessions at a time.

I have one of those lick mats that has suctions on the back, which is good for distracting when bathing or brushing your dog. That'll stick to fridge, side of bath, tiles etc.

i’m not sure if the picture will show up but it’s like a line where the shedding stops and starts. he’s a black dog but where it is shedding it looks like fluffy brown fur. it pulls out really easy and he doesn’t even notice if i tug a chunk out. he has no skin problems. this just started. is it normal?
View attachment 111980097
Many of my dogs have in past and present started their bigger annual 'moult' from the lower back-bum area, slowly progressing towards to each end of the dog over next few following weeks. Each year is it slightly different 'moult', some years it is quite unsightly and others it is more gradual and general all over change of the coat. I hand strip mine, but only as the hairs are ready to come out, so I don't cause any pain with stripping. Although mine do like brushing, it doesn't help much with hair removal, instead I wear latex gloves that give little grip and hairs tend to stick to them nicely too and using my hands I 'brush' and gently tuck those loosening hairs off. Because that action is massage-like action....my mutts LOVE it.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back