The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Dog sitting

hollysh

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
How do you deal with possessiveness when looking after more than one dog at a time? They all seem to dislike each other because they all want to be with me all the time and don't like it when the other one is close to me. I try to make them all feel welcome. I'm only allowed 3 at a time, so its not many dogs. How do i get them to get on?

Hi hollysh

I understand your problem, I do not know how old the dogs are. One of the best way to help taking control, you have become the pack leader. If your dogs are young then will not be a problem.

Dogs do not regard humans as pack leaders. This is a very old fashioned theory now.

The dogs will have a pecking order among themselves and this should be respected. Do not feel sorry for the under dog and keep promoting it as the others will just put it down again.

Could you get stair gates and separate them into different rooms?

As you are not their owner you do not need to be available all the time to them. You are just there to meet there physical needs. I would withdraw from giving them too much attention and try to distract each of them with a special toy each. Stuffed Kongs are good. The rest of the time just make sure there are more toys etc than dogs so that they can move on to a new one without stealing. If they steal then do not interfere, just distract the loser away and give them something else.

Perhaps think carefully, next time, about which dogs you mix together :)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back