The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Dog Supplement Advice

Lucy Howard

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I’m after some advice, Luna our beautiful lab has been diagnosed with arthritis which I’ve discovered is very common.

The vet has prescribed Loxicom and I we are using a hip and joint supplement from GudFur. It came in a powder format which made it easier to add to her food. For the initial 4 weeks we saw no noticeable change in Luna however since then she seems to be back to her normal self.

We are not sure if the change is from Loxicom or the from the supplement, is anyone else using a similar combination?

P.S I’m also looking to invest in a Bioflow collar which was suggested on a different post

Jasper was on Onsior and YuMove Plus (double dose) for several months, so a similar combination: anti-inflammatory plus joint supplement. The anti-inflammatory definitely helped (we noticed a difference if we slipped a few days). It's not easy to say if the supplement helped - as with humans, supplements tend to be more about longer-term support, and clear evidence of their efficacy, as opposed to anecdotes, are thin on the ground.

You might want to compare the ingredients of the supplement you've been using with YuMove Plus to see how they line up, and discuss with your vet if they would recommend one over the other, or a different one altogether. Even if you can't be sure how effective they are, IMO it's worth continuing just in case - even if they don't improve Luna's condition, they might slow her decline (which of course is even harder to measure).

How old is Luna? If she may have several years ahead of her you might want to consider the potential damage of anti-inflammatories long term and discuss this with your vet too - but in general, quality of life is more important than quantity.

I considered a Bioflow collar for Jasper but didn't get one, as the 'science' behind it really didn't make sense and any evidence of benefits was very weak (tests weren't properly double-blind, and owners tend to see in their dogs what they want or expect to see). But the only harm it's likely to do is to your wallet, and who knows - I could be wrong and they might, somehow, work :D

JudyN hi,

Luna was on YuMove Plus but we struggled to get her to take the tables, having to crush them first to add to her food. The GudFur supplement was suggested by a dog walker and I spoke to our vet about the ingredients of the two brands and they suggested I tried the GudFur hip and joint supplement.

I think you hit the nail on the head when you mentioned long term damage, Luna is only 8yrs old! It is very much about her quality of life and trying to make sure we provide the best care we can. Really appreciate your thoughts on the BioFlow collar, I think its something we are going to try and see what happens.

Its interesting to hear what happened when you slipped a few days not giving the anti-inflammatory. We have a vet appointment at the end of the month where I will raise my concerns regarding potential damage of anti-inflammatories long term. Thanks for the advice

I've just remembered - you can now get anti-inflammatories that are given by injection once a month, and they are probably a lot safer than oral ones. The only reason we didn't go down that line is that Jasper was so scared at the vet that the stress itself would have been harmful.

Galliprant is a relatively new oral anti-inflammatory that in theory is supposed not to affect the dog's stomach. I say in theory because it didn't agree with J's stomach at all, but he always was contrary. Again, your vet can advise.

I’m after some advice, Luna our beautiful lab has been diagnosed with arthritis which I’ve discovered is very common.

The vet has prescribed Loxicom and I we are using a hip and joint supplement from GudFur. It came in a powder format which made it easier to add to her food. For the initial 4 weeks we saw no noticeable change in Luna however since then she seems to be back to her normal self.

We are not sure if the change is from Loxicom or the from the supplement, is anyone else using a similar combination?

P.S I’m also looking to invest in a Bioflow collar which was suggested on a different post

Hi!

Just for thoughts! I hear a lot of great things about Golden Paste! (it's Tumeric based) you might like to look on the Tumeric Users Group for reviews on this, really is quite highly recommended and I have had great success with it for one of my horses! Does all what the vet px does, and much cheaper as you get the ingredients yourself and cook away on the stove! :)

My vet once prescribed/suggested using Turmeric for one of our elderly dogs who had arthritis.
Tumeric 10,000mg, one tablet daily (1/2 tablet twice a day).
We had positive results. A friend of ours with an elderly working Labrador, also used the Turmeric for her dog, she had good results too and continued working for another couple of years.

Librela is getting some good reviews.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back