The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Dog Walking: Advice Saught

thedoghouse

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi there,

I was hoping I could ask you fellow doggy people for some advice...

I want to start dog walking to earn some money. I already do this voluntarily for a local rehoming charity, have 2 dogs of my own & have a longterm interest in a career working with animals.

I have been offered a job as a dog walker with a company which operates various pet care services across Scotland. However, in order to work for this company I must sign an Agreement Not To Compete (while employed by the company & for 1 year afterwards, directly or indirectly, by participating in a similar business in the same geographical area).

However, I was kind of thinking at the back of my mind that someday I'd like to set up my own dog walking service & this Agreement has made me worried that I may jeopardise those aspirations by working for this company now. It has also made me stop & wonder why I am not just setting up my own dog walking business in the first place.

I am not really from a business background, having previously worked in health-care & recently started up a small crafts business online (just selling some handmade things on Etsy), & while the idea of setting up a small dog walking business seems simple enough to me on the surface, I'm wondering if there is anything major I am missing.

From what I understand so far, the downsides to setting up on my own would be -

- having to deal with my own taxes

- having to get my own insurance

- having to spend a bit of money & time on marketing & promotion,

but the upsides would be -

- I'd be my own boss

- someone else wouldn't be taking a cut of the money I earned

- I would not be limited in what kind of work I wanted to do with animals in the future.

What would you do if you were in my shoes? Would you take the work with the company or set up on your own? I'd be especially interested to hear from other dog walkers (& people who use them) & anyone who knows anything about business really.

Thanks for taking the time to read through this. I'd really appreciate your help.

Jane.

Do it on your own, why let someone else take all the profit and glory. You sound like a caring person and i think you will do well. P.S. DONT TELL THE TAX MAN.

Hi Jan

I can't give you full on advice about a dog walking business, but I can say making the decision to work for myself is one of the best I ever made - although running a company can be a pain in the behind! I guess in the first instance you set up as a sole trader (rather than a limited company) which would reduce the paperwork. Best advice I can give is check out Business Link (maybe different in Scotland) - even their website http://www.businesslink.gov.uk has a ton of useful info like how to do market research etc. Be warned not all Business Link advisors are the same if you have a friend who uses them and can recommend their advisor go there! Also go to www.HMRC.gov.uk again loads of advice about tax and insurance etc.

One con you didn't put on your list is:

No steady income (at least not at the start)

Which can have an impact on mortgages etc. And let your household insurance people know you're running a business from home (in England I think you also need to tell the council)

It's a risk but well worth it (if you can "prove" it will work) Go for it (and if you want more info feel free to PM)

Good Luck :luck: :luck: :luck:

zahra

Thank you both for your advice. Zahra - these are really useful links & thanks for your kind offer of further advice should I need it. (I'm sure I will!) Jx

Do it on your own, why let someone else take all the profit and glory. You sound like a caring person and i think you will do well. P.S. DONT TELL THE TAX MAN.
Personally, if you are going to do it as a business, i would tell the taxman. Because if you are operating against already established businesses, they may make it their business to tell him and then you get in trouble. :angry:

Good luck with whatever you decide. Contact or join a local dog training club so that people get to know you, see how you handle your own dogs and put their trust in you.

Personally, if you are going to do it as a business, i would tell the taxman. Because if you are operating against already established businesses, they may make it their business to tell him and then you get in trouble. :angry:

Good luck with whatever you decide. Contact or join a local dog training club so that people get to know you, see how you handle your own dogs and put their trust in you.
TTT :angry: What is this for dont tell the tax man is a joke. :clown:

There's lots of information about staring up your own business on the Business Gateway website. I think they also have an office in Buchanan Street, Glasgow :thumbsup: They provide 'practical help, advice and support for new and growing businesses in Scotland' (at least that's what it says on their home page : )

http://www.bgateway.com/bdotg/action/home?...ww.bgateway.com

Good luck :luck: :luck: :luck:

Jill

Last edited by a moderator:
The main point to bear in mind is your liability when in charge of other peoples' dogs.

You must have a comprehensive insurance policy which will cover you in any eventuality ....... dog getting off lead and getting run over, dog biting another dog, dog cutting his paw whilst out walking and accruing a vet bill etc etc - the potential for problems is endless!!!!

It is probably the one most important thing when offering your services on a business basis to other people :thumbsup:

Good luck :luck: ........... oh, and most people around my area who have started up on their own have done very well :D

I'd say go for it. I am self employed at it is the best decision I ever made - I was never much good at being told what to do by other people!

As for your your concerns about tax - get an accountant. My accountant charges £150 for the whole year and she'll sort as many things as I need in that time. And you'll have to make sure you keep paying National Insurance.

You will have to do a bunch of research about insurance - eg public liability etc.

Good luck with it. xx :luck:

go for it ! why give someone else some of your hard earned dosh, you'll have to pay taxes whether self employed or not, obviously you'll have to factor in all your expenses and unpaid hols etc, but you'll have the freedom to be flexible with yourself.

Tip.... have a doggy coat made by someone on here with your details embroidered on and you can advertise yourself every day for virtually free !! and get a fleece jacket/sweatshirt done for yourself while you're at it.

Good luck !

go for it ! why give someone else some of your hard earned dosh, you'll have to pay taxes whether self employed or not, obviously you'll have to factor in all your expenses and unpaid hols etc, but you'll have the freedom to be flexible with yourself.

Tip.... have a doggy coat made by someone on here with your details embroidered on and you can advertise yourself every day for virtually free !! and get a fleece jacket/sweatshirt done for yourself while you're at it.

Good luck !

Thanks everyone!

Hearing of others who have done it successfully is really inspiring. I think I'm veering towards starting up on my own =)

I've had a look at the Business Gateway website & booked myself onto some free seminars on business start up & taxes that are running in the local area.

As for the advertising tip - what a great idea! I will definitely be putting my screen printing skills to use there.

Thanks again - you're all so kind =)

TTT :angry: What is this for dont tell the tax man is a joke. :clown:
When someone asks for advice, I don't think advising them, as you did in your above post to do something illegal, such as tax evasion, is a very funny joke.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back