The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Dog walking equipment

Zippy

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi

I am trying to find out from dog owners what equipment you use for walking your dog?

Where did you find out about it and how effective is it?

Dogs wear collars, we wear suitable clothing ourselves including sensible foot wear for up and down hills and wet weather and always carry a stick. Job done!

I prefer a harness on my dog to avoid possible trachea damage. If using a long line or flexi lead I think a harness is safer. Poo bags are in pockets, treats are in little sandwich bags, I carry a short lead and whistle. For longer walks I have water and a bottle shaped drinking dish that the water bottle slots into, airst aid kit with essentials for both of us, mobile phone, proper dog food (dry) carried in a rucksack.

Thanks for your replies. Are harnesses better than head collars or standard collar and leads?

Are some harnesses better than others? Any views on extendable flexi leads?

Thanks for your replies. Are harnesses better than head collars or collar and leads? Is there any type of harness that is better than others? Is an extendable lead, the flexi type, any good?

It is a matter of personal preference with harnesses versus collars. I find that a dog's head is like a loose cannon if not under the guidance of a collar. A well trained dog should be able to be walked in both of course! I have known dogs to back out of a harness.

Headcollars are excellent for dogs that pull. They should always be used in conjunction with a neck collar (you can get a link from one to the other) or a harness (when you would need two leads. This is because they can be pulled off. Headcollars should never be used with flexi type leads as the leverage they exert is dangerous if the dog picks up a bit of speed.

I use a leather collar and short standard leather lead for road walking. I use a flexi lead for areas containing sheep or wildlife. Poo bags and the Mary Ray treat bag if I do not have a coat with lots of pockets. Mobile phone if I remember :)

Our sticks are not for beating the dogs!!!!!!

The dogs walk off lead but we always carry some in our pockets too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Flexi leads should never be used by roads in case they (or the walker's fingers!) fail. Also when using a flash lead I think a harness is better because you are giving the dog permission and opportunity to run so being pulled up at the end of the line could hurt the dog's windpipe if attached to a collar alone. Sass harnesses are good. Watch for buckles being in annoying places like behind the elbow where they could rub.

Last edited by a moderator:
Flexi leads can be very bad for the dog, depending on the breed / type. With fast dogs eg Greyhounds or Whippets they can easily be exceeding 30 mph at the end of one and the jerk on a collar could easily cause a lot of damage, even on a harness it could be bad that's if you manage to keep hold of it.

Dogs have their collars or harnesses on (varies.) I prefer a harness on my oldest whippet since I discovered he was epileptic one thing I learned was that an often overlooked cause of seizures can be a collar causing damage - rare but worth noting. Mines spend most of their time off lead so I usually have the leads hanging round my neck unless we are near roads or livestock.

I just have my walking boots and my bum bag containing poop bags, dog treats, keys, phone....I have been looking for a better utility belt style one for a while with more pockets but I can't find one anywhere!!! ....oh and a ball in my pocket! Cash just goes mad for his ball!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back