The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Dog Whistle Training

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Juley said:
Another thing I have tried, with one at a time. In a really safe place try hiding when your dog isn't looking. Suddenly they realise you are not in sight and start to panic. Stand up and call/whistle, works a treat but it must be in a very safe place with no other dogs snd no escape.
That worked for mine too, I used to hide quite a lot when Hebe did a vanishing act & it's fine when they come back but can be quite embarrassing when they dont & a total stranger walks by & I'm pressed up against a tree :b Try explaining that you are hiding from your dog when there is no dog in sight. mmmm. Don't tend to do that so much these days :- "

please please dont think you cant share you tips :( , i wouldnt know half of what i do if it werent for people like yourselves who are in the know. (w00t)

I hate people having a go, cause they think their way is best....every dog is different and so is the owner.... :- "

so come on tip away :thumbsup:

Murphy was great until about 10 or 11 months when hormones kicked in and he went deaf but.... until then he did really well with a whistle and it is much nicer esp as my OH cant understand you dont have to yell their name 1000 times! We just blew the whistle and gave a treat when he responded , we started in the house then the garden then on a long line and then off lead in controled areas until we were sure it was in his head.. As I say it worked really well and he still does respond to a whistle but his recal is not really trustworthy atm.

Ive used the same method with all my dogs and even brain damaged Remy got the idea that the whistle meant something nice..

I soooo agree let's all rise up and find our voices if something works it works. Let all the (my way is the only way) ranters talk each other to death and just get on with sharing what has worked for us. We don't have to be intimidated there is an ignore option we can use and I intend to.

I've been on the internet to long to be bothered by the sanctified lot. just ignore them, it's easier to do then with proper trolls. @Free spirit

As far as whistles go i feel like they're just a reset. I know recalls can get corrupted if a dog thinks it can just run as it pleases. Bax went through several names AND a whistle before we got a pretty rock solid recall.... and then i learned about his INCREDIBLY POWERFUL prey drive and stopped letting him off lead. his recall is rubbish now cause we haven't practiced in years.

the whistle we did use was one of the silent ones. it wasnt properly silent though, you could still hear air going through it you just couldnt hear the whistly part.

My sister uses a dog whistle as like a vibrating collar? She warns her dog with it when he's doing something bad. So rather than scream up to the top floor when he starts barking she blows the whistle and he quiets.

I've been on the internet to long to be bothered by the sanctified lot. just ignore them, it's easier to do then with proper trolls. @Free spirit

As far as whistles go i feel like they're just a reset. I know recalls can get corrupted if a dog thinks it can just run as it pleases. Bax went through several names AND a whistle before we got a pretty rock solid recall.... and then i learned about his INCREDIBLY POWERFUL prey drive and stopped letting him off lead. his recall is rubbish now cause we haven't practiced in years.

the whistle we did use was one of the silent ones. it wasnt properly silent though, you could still hear air going through it you just couldnt hear the whistly part.

My sister uses a dog whistle as like a vibrating collar? She warns her dog with it when he's doing something bad. So rather than scream up to the top floor when he starts barking she blows the whistle and he quiets.

As long as you are happy and your dog is happy there is nothing wrong. We all have to find what works for us, for instance my Buster would ride a unicycle blindfolded for food yet my cousins dog is a sparse little eater but will do anything for a cuddly toy. Neither is right or wrong.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back