The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Doggy Blood Donors

pegun1

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi All

i was sent this email today and have signed this petition, personally i think its a brilliant idea and should have been done long before now,i will paste the email if you think its a good idea please sign it the more that sign the better,maybe we could all make a difference :wub:

> >Hi Dawn and Donna

> >

> >I'm passing this link to you as you are my only UK members.

> >

> >We recently had a springer/collie cross called Slick on the list.

> >Unfortunately Slick lost his battle with a serious form of doggie anaemia

> >this weekend. Slick's owner is trying to get a proper blood bank/donor

> >system set up for dogs in the same position. Slick would have had a better

> >chance of survival if there had been a nationwide donor system as he had

> >exhausted the local vets own donor list and none of their friends and

> >family

> >had dogs with a suitable blood type. They were reduced to advertising in

> >the

> >local paper for volunteers to come forward to have their dogs tested.

> >

> >Please consider signing this petition. It is all above board and

> >information

> >is kept confidential.

> >

> >Link to petition - http://petitionthem.com/default.asp?sect=detail&pet=3600

I think you will find that the RCVS colleges DO have dog blood donor banks plus they keep greyhounds specifically for this purpose. I know my own Vets (I have offered the services of my dogs on several occasions) also have a donor list to call upon at short notice but they are largest Vet Hospital in the area.

dessie said:
I think you will find that the RCVS colleges DO have dog blood donor banks plus they keep greyhounds specifically for this purpose.  I know my own Vets (I have offered the services of my dogs on several occasions) also have a donor list to call upon at short notice but they are largest Vet Hospital in the area.
Hi Dessie

i think they are trying to get it so that they store the blood ,and not 100% on this but that these facilities wasn't available for this poor dog they got him so far then run out of suitable blood,And he died.I was asked to sign and just thought that being as this is such a busy site that other people may sign too.

Dawn

Hello,

When my kennel was full of Alsatians my daughter who is a Veternary Nurse at Springfield Hospital Rotherham used to come and take a dog from my place at all sorts of hours. I remember my good old bear who gave enough blood to help out an elderly Jack Russel cross of 15 yrs old. He had an operation and needed some fresh blood and bear sure gave him some he lived until he was 17 yrs old a full 2 yrs for half a pint of the good stuff lol. All my dogs were used at some time or another. I think there is only 2 types of blood not sure but my daughter knew which dog to take as they had all the records at the vets. It was strange I gave the blood free but the Vet charged the owner for it. Never could work that out.

Mike

Hi Mike

thats a lovely thought,that your bear helped this dog for so long :wub:

i think the idea is that it could be done more along the lines of what they do for us with blood banks,so that should they run out as they did in this other dogs case, they could call for back up from a bank.I am not 100% sure how it all works ,fortunatly i have never needed to have blood for any of my dogs although i have had a scare or two one with a cut skimming a vein on one of my girls,Fingers crossed none of us ever need to use the service but should we ever do it would be nice to know that it would be there and that they wouldn't run out ,it must have been heartbreaking for the owner knowing they got so close only to lose him because they had no more blood.

Dawn

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back