The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Down the beach

Discussion in 'Dog Pictures and Videos' started by JudyN, Oct 1, 2020.

1. JudyN

JudyN Moderator Moderator Registered

We only live a few miles from the beach, but what with beach restrictions and tourists in the summer, and the fact that after the first rush of blood to his head when he has sand under his feet Jasper doesn't find the beach that exciting, we haven't been down there for ages. But this morning we celebrated the lifting of the dog restrictions and headed down there.

He enjoyed himself today. He did bark at a lab who was in the sea, but I think he was just warning him that he was in too deep and it was dangerous - he still doesn't get the concept of swimming!

The light looked nothing like it does in these photos. The camera on my phone was using artistic licence, I think ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

'Ghost ships' - cruise ships that are parked off the beach because they can't go cruising right now...

[​IMG]

Finsky, arealhuman, Flobo and 7 others like this.
  2. Store
  3. lurcherman

lurcherman Well-Known Member Registered

Im only a mile from the beach as I think Joannef will be also, when I first moved here me and the dogs was down there 7am having a wee paddle, I think it’s a good thing for a dog to see and enjoy the water.

4. JoanneF

JoanneF Well-Known Member Registered

We are a 5 minute walk.

We go most days, it's best in poor weather when the crowds are not there saying ”It would be so much better if there wasn't all the sand.”

Yes, actually heard someone say that.

RGC likes this.
  5. RGC

RGC Member Registered

JudyN you’re very lucky to have the beach so close. We were looking forward to our break in Cornwall earlier this year but la peste put paid to that. ‘Twas just the thing for the rescued whippet so we’ve booked for next year. She’s come on in leaps and bounds from the pathetic hound she was upon arrival - very distrustful of men which wasn’t surprising after being whacked on the snout in moments of frustrated incoherence by her previous owner.

merlina likes this.
  6. JudyN

Cornwall beaches are beautiful, @RGC - I do hope you get there next year.

7. lurcherman

lurcherman Well-Known Member Registered

Rgc, you having a dig at me ?

8. Hemlock

Hemlock Well-Known Member Registered

Lovely photos!

9. RGC

RGC Member Registered

Not intentionally, lurcherman. I was merely commenting on the good fortune of JudyN to have the beach within such close proximity together with a mention of our rescued whippet’s previous experience. Why would one make an assumption re “having a dig”?

10. Ari_RR

Ari_RR Well-Known Member Registered

This is lovely, wish we could join you there.
    At least one of local beaches here I think lifted dog restrictions yesterday too. We’ll try, but I am a bit apprehensive - Baby Miles will be 2 at the end of November, not sure how it will go between an intact large young male and all the other dogs on the beach.
    Great photos.

11. JudyN

It's rare for our beaches to be quiet - if you've seen the photos of people packed together like sardines on beaches during lockdown, and the tonnes of rubbish they leave behind - that's probably on our bit of coast :mad: We hardly ever went when J was younger because once he was bored with the same old smells of sea and sand, he'd look for a suitable victim to bully, just for the fun of it.

What was better fun was when he was quite young and he and a young husky friend disappeared into the dunes on the nudist beach at Studland... and flushed out a rather flustered-looking pair of nudists:eek::D

12. arealhuman

arealhuman Well-Known Member Registered

Went to Widemouth Bay in Cornwall yesterday. It was lovely. Got there early for breakfast in the camper, two long walks along the beach with not many people and a few other dogs about. Jimmy still hates the water and was very cautious even when crossing very shallow (about an inch!) pools of water. Still, he seemed to enjoy himself, my wife and I did, and the weather was glorious.

JudyN and JoanneF like this.
  13. Jan Woodhall

Jan Woodhall Active Member Registered