The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Draw From Members Experience

daveycrocket1967

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Having never had a whippet before I am not familiar with their traits. I have come to realise they are a unique breed when it comes to mannerisms and behaviour. which is why I would like to draw from members experience regarding my dilemma.

My whippet didn't have a proper heat cycle until she was two and a half years old, starting first week of July, and it seemed to go for a very long time.Everything has calmed down now apart from a couple of swollen mammary glands ( I presume that's what they are), the nipples are normal but around the base is a circular, flat swelling. Is this a normal after effect?

My main concern is her appetite. I used to have a dog whose main prioty in life was the consumption of food. Her bowl was emptied in a minute and then she'd be eyeing my dinner up. Since her season she picks at her meals and is not interested in what is going on in the kitchen. She is eating, but smaller portions and not as enthusiastically as she once was.

Have her tastes changed? Could it be a phantom pregnancy (How long will it go on for)? Do whippets have wisdom teeth pushing through when they sexually mature?

Her genaral health is fine which is why I haven't taken her to the vets. Do any members recognise my experience ??

Normal post season behaviour I would think. As far as she is concerned her body is telling her she is having puppies and her hormones will be all over the place. It can take a while for them to go back to normal.

She will not be cutting any teeth at her age! She should go back to how she was about two months after her season, maybe more.

Thank you for your response and wise words. We have been for a long walk this afternoon and she ate all her dinner afterwards, with a little help from fresh salmon. Talk about spoilt rotten.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back