The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Dremmell recommendations please?

Discussion in 'Dog Grooming' started by JudyN, Apr 11, 2019.

1. JudyN

JudyN Well-Known Member Registered

A combination of my gammy knee and Jasper's corn means that he's not getting the pavement walking he would normally, and his claws are getting longer... and longer... Occasionally he'll let me clip one, but he was pretty grumpy about that today. I'm thinking of trying a dremmell - could anyone recommend a cordless one, please? Preferably not to noisy, he's a sensitive flower ;)
    He's a big lad, so it doesn't want to be only suitable for dainty little whippet feet.

I reckon, with very careful introduction, I might be able to remove an atom or two of nail in about... oooh.... six months, knowing him :confused:

2. Ari_RR

Ari_RR Well-Known Member Registered

We use “Dremel 7300-PT 4.8V Pet Nail Grooming Tool” from Amazon.

Ari hated the whole nail trimming process and tolerated one paw at a time with a lot of cheese.

Miles hates it even more.

3. Rinkydinkydo

Rinkydinkydo New Member Registered

I actually use a dremmell,I use cutting discs,then finish off by sanding them down. I wouldn't recommend using the cutting wheel unless your dog is mega relaxed with it. The sanding pads are pretty good,just like a nail file except at speed. You can get one at pets at home which does the sanding down. Suppose they will be on eBay,but my dogs grew up with this method from pups so are really relaxed with it.

4. JudyN

Thanks both :)

That one's £90.08 on UK Amazon:eek: I wonder if that's an indication of quality or because it's not easy to get in the UK. I'm wondering if I need one with a hair guard. I'll have to keep one eye on J to see how he's handling it and the consequences of getting his hair caught don't bear thinking about.

5. Ari_RR

$29.99 on US Amazon, and free delivery.... which is, if my math is correct, about £23.
    So, no, not a quality indication.
    The battery doesn't hold charge as well after a while... at which point we just order a new one.
    Over Ari's 8 years we've gone through 2 or 3 of them. So figure every 3 years it's another $30, and a brand new dremmel.
    But compared to the costs of a groomer (not counting the stress and aggravation, if it's even possible at all, we never tried a groomer with Ari) - a pretty good deal, isn't it? Even if include the cost of cheese at each manicure/pedicure session :)

6. JudyN

7. Kara 1

Kara 1 Well-Known Member Registered

Thats the one i use for my 3 lurchers ;)

8. Ragsysmum

Ragsysmum Member Registered

I have used a sandpaper block in the past on dogs which hated any form of nail clipping. It's quiet and the dogs didn't seem to mind it.

Ari_RR likes this.
  9. JudyN

That could be worth trying too - does it take long to remove a reasonable amount?

10. Ari_RR

That’s a brilliant idea!
    It may be much slower than dremmel, but if the dog tolerates well - then might as well spend 5-10 easy minutes every day than an exhausting hour once a week/month wrestling with a 4-legged monster.

Ragsysmum likes this.
  11. Ragsysmum

Ragsysmum Member Registered

Well it's obviously much slower than clipping or dremelling but I used to run it over several claws in turn several times on each. Not too long on one claw as it will get hot and then the dog will object. My dogs often lie next to me on the couch so it is easy to do a bit on each foot every day and keep them down. I do walk a lot on hard, rough road surfaces too and that really helps with some claws but really hard ones need more. Anything is worth a try if you have an intolerant dog though.

JudyN likes this.