The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Drugs Testing Yes Or No?

Should there be drugs testing at all Champs?

• Winners

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Finalists

• Random

• Not necessary

• Total voters

BeeJay

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Personally I think that there is no need for drugs testing. Other people think that there is.

So what do you all think?

The W.C.R.A. tried this 10 years ago and could not get it right then so what chance have they got now.

I have voted not neccesary - if people need to cheat to win then it is a very sorry state to be in.

The W.C.R.A. tried this 10 years ago and could not get it right then so what chance have they got now.
The WCRA committee we have now have a much better chance of getting it right, than the committee we had 10 years ago. They have their minds on running racing, and don't have their knives out for particular people/dogs.

I feel strongly that this should be in place, but done randomly to cut expense. The DNA testing was a fiasco in those days too, but judging by the amount of gossip on the racing scene at the moment, perhaps DNA testing should be brought back?

Another poll for you Barb? :thumbsup:

Personally, I don't think there is a need as I don't think anyone is cheating anyway. When it was done before, the tests were all negative. Very sensibly a small allowance was made for the caffeine/chocolate based on the fact that our dogs are pets and some are likely to drink tea or eat chocolate in small quantities. It was a high level they were looking for.

As a new comer to racing, and without a champ in the making, i can honestly say i do it for the fun, to see my dog run, the chance of winning sometimes, the people i have met and the friends i have made....

The thought that i would pump my dog full of crap so i could see it cross the line before someone elses dog, and win a slightly bigger trophy is laughable.

I thought Whippets were pets first and racers second, i for one wouldnt stoop so low, put my dog in danger, just to win

Kim and Tilly said:
I thought Whippets were pets first and racers second, i for one wouldnt stoop so low, put my dog in danger, just to win
My sentiments exactly - and i like to think thats how most people think with any racing dog - ped, non ped, lurcher or any dog :D :D

Unless done properly a complete waste of time / money---effort

1st a vet should conduct tests--he/she and he/she alone should know when and who is to be tested

( not any person on any committee as they can and do tell mates when and where testing is to take place this should not happen only the vet should know)

he/she should be given a list of meetings ---

he/she should arrive unannounced to carry out proceedure---

that way all racers are on a level playing field and in my opinion this would be a far better form of deterrant than any other way --

it might stop those who know only winners were to be tested pulling out of finals in order to miss testing--

(this is only my view on it personally) not aimed at any individual at all--------------------

-------- past or present---- :thumbsup:

steve

Kim and Tilly said:
As a new comer to racing, and without a champ in the making, i can honestly say i do it for the fun, to see my dog run, the chance of winning sometimes, the people i have met and the friends i have made....
The thought that i would pump my dog full of crap so i could see it cross the line before someone elses dog, and win a slightly bigger trophy is laughable.

i think some people do fill there dogs of crap to win and it makes me mad :rant:

i may have traveled hundreds of miles as well of other expense .

we dont go for the plastic trophys we go to compete with dogs on equal terms

kipper fluke said:
1st a vet should conduct tests--he/she and he/she alone should know when and who is to be tested

( not any person on any committee as they can and do tell mates when and where testing is to take place this should not happen only the vet should know)

he/she should be given a list of meetings  ---

that way all racers are on a level playing field and in my opinion this would be a far better form of deterrant than any other way --

it might stop those who know only winners were to be tested pulling out of finals in order to miss testing--

(this is only my view on it personally) not aimed at any individual at all--------------------

steve

Spot on Steve only 2 of the nwrf committee were aware that we were testing at Devon, its quite hard to find vets willing to take time out and travel to events thats why at least one committee must be aware when they are testing plus you need to pay for the vet and also a cheque for the vet to send to the lab...ect

I must point out that in my opinion it must be a vet taking and handling all tests, plus i think the HFL is the only lab that should deal with testing as they are the main testing lab for the NGRC & horse racing, we did find cheaper labs but there standards weren't as high as HFL's and if testings to be done then it needs to be done correctly, I personally would not allow any one else other than a vet taking & handling my dogs tests from now on, theres to many mistakes can be made.

Dee not Gaz

kipper fluke said:

he/she should be given a list of meetings  ---

steve

Completely agree with the first line of your comment :thumbsup:

squizzle racing said:
Kim and Tilly said:

i think some people do fill there dogs of crap to win and it makes me mad :rant:

i may have traveled hundreds of miles as well of other expense .

we dont go for the plastic trophys we go to compete with dogs on equal terms

Thats a shame you feel like that :( ......I've never suspected this about anyone at racing .......but then I've never suspected a need for DNA testing either ........I personally think there are some very good lines out there that breed on well and some very good dog owners/trainers who know how to race train/breed their dogs to their full potential .......I also know that there are alot of sour grapes when there's a brilliant dog or litter about .........I'll carry on seeing the best of the people I like at racing .......and attempt to race my slow dogs :lol: .........

And here i was thinking that the sport we all ,so called love so much, was an amateur one and people wonder why whippet racing is in decline......

I think it's about time people stopped bitching and just get on with racing their own dogs for the enjoyment of watching dogs running down a grass strip after a bundle of rags.....COME ON there are more important things in life than worrying if Joe Bloggs is feeding his/her dog chocolate / coffee or not .... :angry:

Of course this is only my opinion !!!

I've done away with a couple of posts before another row starts.

From the posting rules

Personal attacks are not welcome. Criticise ideas, not people. Flaming will not be tolerated.

No member or Moderator is allowed to engage in public personal attacks on any other member or Moderator.

Personal attacks are defined as Personal, Racial, Ethnic, and/or Gender based insults, slurs, or derisive comments.

All complaints need to be communicated privately to an Administrator or Moderator using either PM and/or EMail, who will pass it on.

In the event of this, if appropriate, the offending post will be edited or removed, and the offending party shall receive no more than two (2) Moderator warnings via PM and/or Email, and one final Administrator warning.

If the behaviour continues, the member/Moderator will be banned for a week, and upon a repeat incident, banned permanently.

This will apply to all other community members as well.

All we want is a little community kindness

It is the same in any sport,there are athletes etc who win everything & those who just compete to make the number up.

It is the same with whippet racing there are dogs that win everything,[this doesnt mean to say they are on drugs.]

I think it is just sour grapes when people start bringing this drugs issue up.

[The problem is their dogs just are not good enough.]

Im not trying to upset anybody, it is a fact.

It is these people who are bringing this sport into decline.

It is time these IMAGINARY drug cheats were forgot about, before this spot declines anymore.

[HARD WORK WILL WIN EVERYTIME]

I have been racing over 20yrs & have done quite well & have never dreamt of giving my dogs anything. It as all been hard work [the more you put in the more you get out]

i dont race whippets.i dont own any.but if i DID race them then id want to race them on a level playing field. :thumbsup: if you are putting a lot of time, money and effort to race and train your dogs it must be totally disheartening to lose and to suspect that the dog that has beaten yours has been drugged.in all walks of life there will always be folk who want to cheat cos that what human nature is unfortunately.theyre either too lazy or just want to take the easy way out.its how things are.i think any sport has to keep up with modern times and if you want a sport to attract newcomers then id say testing is one way to do it.cos then if their dog doesnt win they cant accuse the winning dogs of cheating cos they are being randomly tested.so they know that the best dog HAS won.if you dont have any form of testing then there will always be the temptation for some folk to cheat. whippet racing has to be like caesars wife.above suspision.ive no axe to grind in this as its something that im not involved in so i daresay ill get stoned now for voicing an opinion about something i know nothing about.but i do know human nature and i know that if you have safeguards in place to deterr cheats then theyll either leave the sport or will be caught out eventually. ;)

:thumbsup: Spot on Kris

COME ON there are more important things in life than worrying if Joe Bloggs is feeding his/her dog chocolate / coffee or not ....  Of course this is only my opinion !!!
I quite agree Chris, there are more important things in life - but we were asked for an opinion - so gave it. I don't spend much time at all wondering what other people are giving their dogs - I just know I wouldn't give anything to, or do anything detrimental to my dogs whether it was performance enhancing or not. It would however be nice to know that no one else is either. Like others have said we put a lot of time and money into racing, and we'd all like to compete fairly. The chocolate and coffee thing is not a worry at all, as I don't think it would make that much difference to a dogs performance - there are far more crooked things out there though. Most of them are harmful to the dogs health, so you'd have to be quite evil to use them.

It may surprise people - but I have actually been offered something before :angry: Of course I declined - it was then turned around to make it seem he was joking, but I don't think he was.

Anyway, just because this is being discussed - doesn't mean anyone is accusing anyone. My point was that if drug testing were in place - it would be a deterent, and might just stop someone who was thinking of cheating from doing so.

Last edited by a moderator:
From the way this poll is done it looks like the biggest vote is for not necessary - but actually up to the time of posting, the majority (62.50%) want drug testing in some shape or form. So, maybe there was a case for discussion. If you are one of those who have had a go at someone else for wanting to have a view on it - maybe now is the time to apologise :- "

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back