The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Drugs Testing Yes Or No?

Should there be drugs testing at all Champs?

• Winners

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Finalists

• Random

• Not necessary

• Total voters

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
suzie said:
It is the same in any sport,there are athletes etc who win everything & those who just compete to make the number up.    It is the same with whippet racing there are dogs that win everything,[this doesnt mean to say they are on drugs.]

I  think it is just sour grapes when people start bringing this drugs issue up.

[The problem is their dogs just are not good enough.]

Im not trying to upset anybody, it is a fact.

It is these people who are bringing this sport into decline.

It is time these IMAGINARY drug cheats were forgot about, before this spot declines anymore.

[HARD WORK WILL WIN EVERYTIME]

I have been racing over 20yrs & have done quite well & have never dreamt of giving my dogs anything. It as all been hard work [the more you put in the more you get out]

you got really snotty with me on the no peds thread (if the cap fits then wear it conway)

well the cap does not fit and my PEDS run own their with own, with out help of any substance of any kind.

and i take great insult to you saying any thing different.

Last edited by a moderator:
WHEN A DOG IS RUNNING FAST NOT BECAUSE OF ITS NATURAL ABILITY BUT BECAUSE OF IT BEING GIVEN SOMETHING.

I THINK THE TROUBLE THEN COMES WHEN THERE IS A DOG FOR EXAMPLE IS USED AT STUD AND THE BREEDER IS GOING TO THAT DOG FOR ITS PERFORMANCE NATURALLY,NOT BECAUSE IT HAS BEEN GIVEN A i.e.ENHANCER,THIS IS A BIT FALSE TO THE BREEDERS SIDE WHO IS BREEDING FOR THE BENIFIT OF ITS OWN LINE.

SOME DOGS WILL ALWAYS BE FAST THROUGH GOOD BREEDING REGARDLESS OF TRAINING ITS IN THE BLOOD

I THINK THIS TOPIC IS A DETERENT ITSELF WITH THE AMOUNT OF RACING DOG OWNERS ON THIS SITE

What do you test for ? Obviously stimulants, but are you allowed to race them on bute ? In the Greyhounds NO, but they do allow horses to race on it in the States. Antibiotics ? Does anyone ever drip a dog between races, especially in the hot weather. I see the Coursing kennels over here doing it, also bottled oxygen to give dogs between rounds to aid recovery.

Blimey! - none of thats allowed and I've never ever seen anything like it done either. That sounds a whole different ball game to whippet racing. I think everyone currently in whippet racing would leave the sport if there was that sort of thing going on. There's just not the incentive in whippet racing and no money either and I hope it stays that way. They're only pets. Whippet racing is on a par with doing obedience, agility or fly ball, its just something fun to do with your dog thats tailored to the breeds natural instinct.

Yes, its nice if your dog does win but just about every person who is racing a dog that wins also races dogs that don't. It really comes down to luck wether your dog turns out to be fast or not. Loads of people are only racing dogs that have no real hope of winning just for the social life it gives them and the fun it gives the dog.

there as to be drug testing because there are people/owners out there who will give there dogs something i for one have never and will not use anything illegal,and anyone is quite welcome to test my dog anytime as long as they pay for the test.

blimey giving oxygen to the dogs? :wacko: i'll open the back door t' van if one of em farts but thats about it :x :lol:

dunno bout the dogs but if i've been out on t' lash the night before i could often do with a good dollop of oxygen myself :lol: :- "

Judy said:
Blimey!  - none of thats allowed and I've never ever seen anything like it done either. That sounds a whole different ball game to whippet racing. I think everyone currently in whippet racing would leave the sport if there was that sort of thing going on. There's just not the incentive in whippet racing and no money either and I hope it stays that way. They're only pets. Whippet racing is on a par with doing obedience, agility or fly ball, its just something fun to do with your dog thats tailored to the breeds natural instinct.
Yes, its nice if your dog does win but just about every person who is racing a dog that wins also races dogs that don't.

Or 2 or 3 that don't Judy :lol:  

It really comes down to luck wether your dog turns out to be fast or not. Loads of people are only racing dogs that have no real hope of winning just for the social life it gives them and the fun it gives the dog.

That would be me :lol: Except for Spry of course just incase Lampy reads this :- "

beaker said:
blimey giving oxygen to the dogs?  :wacko: i'll open the back door t' van if one of em farts but thats about it  :x   :lol:
dunno bout the dogs but if i've been out on t' lash the night before i could often do with a good dollop of oxygen myself  :lol:   :- "

ive just choked laughing reading this!me coffees gone all over me skirt! (w00t) :lol:

i would love to think that everyone who races their dogs are only in it for the fun (and i do suspect that most are! )

However, even in a sport where there are no cash prizes and most folk are just there for the social - I wouldn't trust everyone to be so scrupulous.

I don't race myself (but this thread is a poll asking for opinions so i thought i would add mine!)......but i have seen the awful competativeness between parents at the school christmas play - grown adults throwing strops because Hermione only got to be an angel whereas next-door's Petunia was the Virgin Mary for the 2nd year running......etc etc

grown adults can really get into getting off on having the most achieving child or splendid dog - i agree with Kris here about the lamentable truth about human nature. some people, if given an opportunity to cheat - will ( i have even known a woman who was a respected art teacher cheat on a textiles evening class because she couldn't bear not to hand in the best piece of batik in the class!).

and if the banned substances in question are potentially harmful to dogs then i would happily support random testing to remove the temptation from the unscrupulous.

i am finding the poll helpful though, as i really have no idea if this is a 'big issue' in the sport or not!

I think one of the main points to be asked is ...Are all dogs running on a level playing field, we all know how much it cost when traveling to race meeting , we all know how much work we have put into our dogs plus we all try to give them the best of every thing ie food etc..

Even if drug testing works as a deterrent its well worth it. A lot of Performance-enhancing drugs can be Dangerous, damaging and potentially deadly i am not talking about the odd chocolate biscuit or the dregs from your coffee, tea cup.

I personally agree with testing but only if its done properly.

Conway get your facts right i never inferred that you were giving you dogs anything. this was the comment you answered to.

Joanna , why not get a faster dog then maybe you wouldnt be so concerned about drug testing. It is only the people with slower dogs that bring this subject up.

You havnt got a guilty consience, have you.

urchin said:
I don't race myself (but this thread is a poll asking for opinions so i thought i would add mine!)......but i have seen the awful competativeness between parents at the school christmas play - grown adults throwing strops because Hermione only got to be an angel whereas next-door's Petunia was the Virgin Mary for the 2nd year running......etc etc

:lol: I can just imagine! I don't think they'd go so far as to give their little darling any performace enhancing drugs though would they? Most people treat their whippets like their children.

Sorry Judy, had to reply as this thread is becoming hilarious.

Nice one Urchin and probably very true :lol: :lol: :lol:

Never said you couldn't reply Joanna. I'm glad you have. :thumbsup:

suzie said:
Conway get your facts right i never inferred that you were giving you dogs anything.  this was the comment you answered to.

Joanna , why not get a faster dog then maybe you wouldnt be so concerned about drug testing. It is only the people with slower dogs that bring this subject up. 

You havnt got a guilty consience, have you.

if you knew me then would not ask such stupid questions . my peds run true and clean.

let me ask you do your dogs win opens?

Conway, my dogs do win opens & it is not through using drugs.

It is through hard work, & determination, which will beat drugs everytime if you have a dog good enough.

I was not pulling anyones dog down , i was just stating a fact.

I don't think anyone should be pointing the finger at ones else's dogs...i have had dogs won opens and sups at none ped championships and been tested if you have a dog good enough they will win, but it does take alot of time and effort to get your dogs 100 % fit and anything can happen in a 8-9 second race you also need a little luck.

I know the nwrf asked there members last year if they wanted testing and the majority said yes..so after research and a cost the nwrf members had their memberships increased £10 extra for 2006 membership total cost £20 ..this went into is own fund just for testing thous allowing a vet to take and handle tests and been able to use HFL testing lab ...

June Jonigk said:
From the way this poll is done it looks like the biggest vote is for not necessary - but actually up to the time of posting, the majority (62.50%) want drug testing in some shape or form.  So, maybe there was a case for discussion.  If you are one of those who have had a go at someone else for wanting to have a view on it - maybe now is the time to apologise :- "
well done you are spot on the majority want drug testing and i will pay extra to make sure no one is cheating at the champs :thumbsup:

squizzle racing said:
June Jonigk said:
From the way this poll is done it looks like the biggest vote is for not necessary - but actually up to the time of posting, the majority (62.50%) want drug testing in some shape or form.  So, maybe there was a case for discussion.  If you are one of those who have had a go at someone else for wanting to have a view on it - maybe now is the time to apologise :- "
well done you are spot on the majority want drug testing and i will pay extra to make sure no one is cheating at the champs :thumbsup:

If drug testing is brought in i wont bother entering the champs, and will just play around at club level.....i have a slow show bred dog, so not really any chance of winning...

But its more the fact that whippet racing is so relaxed and welcoming that i come along, if it gets all serious, i cant be bothered

Kim, as I see it, it wouldn't affect all dogs - I take random testing to mean random finalists - I can't see any point in testing the dogs that get knocked out.

It doesn't need to take the fun out of whippet racing.

A lot of us do take racing seriously - otherwise, why would we be out walking the dogs and getting them fit, when sometimes after a days work, you really feel you can't be bothered, and would much rather sit and watch TV. We also spend a lot of time nail clipping, massaging etc, in the hope that we will get the best from our dogs.

I probably felt the same as you when we first started racing - we had show bred dogs too, and I remember saying that I would never have my dogs that thin, in an effort to win races. Now, we get them to their optimum weight - the weight they run best at - which is a lot slimmer than I had my show breds when we started.

We also spend a lot of money keeping the dogs, feeding, travelling etc. We even moved to different part of the country in an effort to cut travelling time and costs. That sounds pretty serious to me - but we still have fun, and enjoy racing.

A typical weekend for us costs approx £50 (sometimes more) for fuel, £15-20 entry fees, sometimes camping fees too. Add that up over a month, and it's almost like having another mortgage!!!

You can be serious about racing, without being a bad loser, or willing to congratulate those whose dogs have won. So, in a nutshall it can be serious and fun :thumbsup:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back