The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Early Start For Skc

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I don't think the judging for the terriers and greyhounds at SKC will take as long as we might think. There is not usually a large entry of Norfolk Terriers and usually only a dozen or so greyhounds. They only have 4 classes each so judging might be quick and we might be in the ring by our usual 9.30 am start. :b There again the SKC might in their usuual wisdom decide to take the larger classes first and our poor whippets will be going round the ring half asleep. -_-

I have never seen another breed in the ring before the whippets or heard of the judge judging a different breed before ours either. :b

Karen said:
I would imagine with Nenne Runstens good entry BOB will surely miss the Group.
Your kiding (w00t) (w00t)

Best of breed whippet missing the group. Sorry, but you pay the same entry fee as the Best in Show winner, you should be able to have a FAIR chance. 8)

We are talking about whippets. It's not as if is a breed such as basenji's or the like. o:)

I'm not sure but I think the whippet entry for SCK is 144. Not as big an entry as some other shows this year.

Allthough there are only a few entries in the other breeds it does still take quite a while to get the classes in and out and give out the awards etc. I really hope there is no delay, I know Mrs Runsten is very expierenced and if she has no break perhaps things will be fine. It just seems odd to me as Whippets are almost always the biggest entry in the Hound group.

Karen said:
Allthough there are only a few entries in the other breeds it does still take quite a while to get the classes in and out and give out the awards etc.  I really hope there is no delay,  I know Mrs Runsten is very expierenced and if she has no break perhaps things will be fine.  It just seems odd to me as Whippets are almost always the biggest entry in the Hound group.
Hi!

Nenne is experianced at judging and for her judging in Britain under your rules is like "holiday judging" :wacko: when not having to do qritiques. In Sweden (and other FCI contries) the judge must do qritiques on all dogs entered.

Henrik

playawhile said:
In Sweden (and other FCI contries) the judge must do qritiques on all dogs entered.
Henrik
Id love it if they did that over here, so much more constructive for the exhibitor

Do you really mean they write a critique on EVERY dog?! :blink: I am sure this just would not be feasible here due to the high entry numbers.

I just checked and a few weeks ago in the dog papers it announced that the Kennel Club has made it compulsory that all judges of Champ shows and open breed club shows must produce a written critique for the first two placings in each class. They must be given to either or both the dog papers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think ALL judges should submit there critiques to the Dog press other wise they should be fined :eek: Mikkee has won 8 best puppy in breeds , 2 Best of breeds and a BEST PUPPY in SHOW and so far only [SIZE=21pt]1 [/SIZE] has appeared in the Dog press :angry:

Looking forward to reading your`s Karen , arnt we Debs and Dawn ! :D

Emailed mine this morning :p

The funny thing is while I think you should not be allowed to judge without promising to write a critique I cant help but wonder if some dog folk are perhaps not literate enough to put one together.

We cant all read and write perfectly, one of my boys was dislexic and whilst he was brighter than the other could not get it down on paper. The law of averages says some of our judges must be unable to write a critique, if this was you would you tell everyone you couldnt write or would you just forget to do a critique?

There ARE some whippet folk who feel unable to judge as they are unable to write critiques - should they be 'fined' for having a medical condition?

I know that OD & DW both claim that all critiques are published but know they aren't.

Having read several Bullie critiques I am sure that if some of the same comments were printed for whippets there could be an outcry (w00t)

I feel that most critiques are of the 'nice size, nice shape, nice movement' style.

Not the 'oversized dog with faulty mouth - but all his faults were overidden by his excellent movement' style ie mentioning why a dog wasn't ideal rather than just saying it looked nice moving.

This is written as an example and if it fits your dog - it wasn't meant to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of people use mini recorders to get their critiques for their dogs so it would be possible for a person with learning difficulties to produce a critique if their partner or friend wrote down their notes from the recorder.

Totally agree with Dawn though, that the dog papers do NOT print every critique that they get. If there are a lot of champ show reports then open and limit show reports get binned!

I'm lucky I can do shorthand, but even using shorthand it would be a horrendously long job writing a critique on every dog due to the very large number of entries they get.

Must admit, though I looked at the sheet and thought that Whippets were first on at 8.30. Not too bad for me cos No.1 son who got married recently lives only 13 or so miles from the Ingliston showground, so won't need to get up till about 7 as we will be up there on Friday. On picture is me and my 'little' lad at his wedding on 30th July.

Looking forward to Sunday as I am going to try and get Charlie through his Good Citizen Bronze Award. We had a go last time in May. He passed everything except standing still for the minute. Anyone who knows Charlie will know he'll still be trying that in 10 years time! But miracles sometimes happen.

K9.jpg

JAX said:
I think ALL judges should submit there critiques to the Dog press other wise they should be fined  :eek: Mikkee has won 8 best puppy in breeds , 2 Best of breeds and a BEST PUPPY in SHOW  and so far only [SIZE=21pt]1 [/SIZE] has appeared in the Dog press  :angry:  
Looking forward to reading your`s Karen , arnt we Debs and Dawn ! :D
Some judges can write one word critiques........fawn :- "

Hi!

In Sweden the judge doesn't write the qritiques themselves (they can if they want to). It's written by a ring steward who writes what the judge think of the dogs. It is good in the sense that you as a judge you really must think hard about what you think about each dog. You say both good and bad things and that is ok, but if a a dog has straight hindlegs I would not say: very straight and bad behind but more like: could have more angulation behind.

Henrik

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back