The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Ears

margemac

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I have noticed that my whippets ears have gone very dry and the hair has come off. It just seems to be since this nice sunny weather we are having.

Has anyone ever noticed this with their whippets.

I have tried putting sun screen on them and keeping him in at the hottest part of the day, but he so loves the sun.

Any tips.

Margaret.

What colour are their ears? It could be sun burn that is peeling!

I have to put sun cream on Frankie's white nose and also on his pink balls (w00t) His ears are dark so they're not affected. Last year his nose went quite pink on a couple of occassions i didnt use the sun cream in the hot weather.

Could be something unrelated though

I have noticed a similar thing with Obi - I wouldn't say his ears get dry but sometimes little clumps of dead skin come off and the hair comes with them. Is this something I should be concerned about? :ermm:

Penny23 said:
I have noticed a similar thing with Obi - I wouldn't say his ears get dry but sometimes little clumps of dead skin come off and the hair comes with them. Is this something I should be concerned about? :ermm:

Yes this is the type of thing I'm talking about. Sorry I don't have a photo to post but I could try to get one.

Sorry but this one is a trip to the vet.

There's a tiny mite that lives naturally in the skin/hair follicles and certain conditions cause it to multiply.

It causes the hair and skin to come out in little lumps and clumps leaving the ear-edge dry and bald. It looks and feels a bit crusty too and can be mistaken for sunburn where you think the skin is peeling.

I've had this with a couple of mine and a course of washing with Malaseb shampoo clears it up in a couple of weeks and then the hair re-grows safely.

You can buy Malaseb shampoo from the vet but it's worth getting him to take a look and if they're worried they might take a skin/hair scraping and have it analysed.

It comes back with my dogs about once a year but we don't know what triggers it - perhaps the warm weather because it's started up again just now.

zilloot said:
Sorry but this one is a trip to the vet.
There's a tiny mite that lives naturally in the skin/hair follicles and certain conditions cause it to multiply.

It causes the hair and skin to come out in little lumps and clumps leaving the ear-edge dry and bald.  It looks and feels a bit crusty too and can be mistaken for sunburn where you think the skin is peeling.

I've had this with a couple of mine and a course of washing with Malaseb shampoo clears it up in a couple of weeks and then the hair re-grows safely.

You can buy Malaseb shampoo from the vet but it's worth getting him to take a look and if they're worried they might take a skin/hair scraping and have it analysed.

It comes back with my dogs about once a year but we don't know what triggers it - perhaps the warm weather because it's started up again just now.

Thanks for the advice :thumbsup:

poor Obe, at least it seems reasonably easy to sort out.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back