The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Eating Grass Roots

sue burton

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
can any one help both Ellie and Tyg dig up and eat the roots of grass they only do it when they are on the lead and normally when I am trying to watch son or grandson playing sport and as this happens all year round am starting to get some comments about not feeding them properly but they have James Welbeloved and veg, fruit and chicken wings what could be missing thanks :thumbsup:

It just sounds like they are bored because they are on lead and 'standing around', probably just doing it to annoy you (w00t)

My two do the same - makes for an interesting lawn! They also both eat grass - Spooky likes the new tips of sticky grass and Scout prefers long grass. Sometimes I feel like I'm taking a small flock of sheep for a walk as they frequently browse the hedgerows :blink:

It'll be interesting to see if anyone can shed some light on why they do it.

Earth contains necessary nutrients and minerals which are not always present in veggies, meat etc.

It's perfectly natural for them to do this - and eating grass is also normal ....... part of their "5 a day" :lol:

Mine are always digging and having a nibble! And different types of soil hold different nutrients so it will happen wherever you go as they will want to check out the local delicacies :thumbsup:

Horses will dig up earth and eat huge lumps of it too - once again, for the mineral content :)

Earth contains necessary nutrients and minerals which are not always present in veggies, meat etc. It's perfectly natural for them to do this - and eating grass is also normal ....... part of their "5 a day" :lol:

Mine are always digging and having a nibble! And different types of soil hold different nutrients so it will happen wherever you go as they will want to check out the local delicacies :thumbsup:

Horses will dig up earth and eat huge lumps of it too - once again, for the mineral content :)
just have to put up with it then :huh: :huh: and keep them off the cricket square :teehee: :teehee: it drives OH mad but never mind

I too find that mine like to dig up a patch, nibble the roots and then have a roll. I think it is spots where there are or have been bird dropings. Mine like nothing better than the organic peat free compost from my flower pots. :rant: I now cover the roots of the plants with bits of slate and provide the dogs with their own pot of compast for them to 'help themselves'. This works very well.

I cannot think your whippies would be very welcome on a cricket pitch :teehee: :teehee: :teehee: (these things are sacred to men)

Maybe you could harness this trait to get them to do the weeding for you ;)

Maybe you could harness this trait to get them to do the weeding for you ;)
oh if only I could but my heavy clay soil is not good enough :b :b only sports fields will do and the odd camp site :teehee: :lol:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back