The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Eating grass. (The dog not me)!

Jjohnd

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Just before lockdown, our dog was put on a diet - which we have stuck to fairly rigidly and she looks healthy for it. The kibble prescribed is designed to 'fool' her into thinking that she has had her fill. I have noticed during walks that she eats a fair amount of grass.
I am eagerly looking forward to talking to her vet nurse on the subject when she returns from furlough.
Could I have comments/advice please.

Dogs sometimes eat grass to help them be sick, if they have a digestive upset for example.

But at this time of the year, the grass is quite sweet so a lot of dogs will eat it for that reason.

What is the purpose of the special diet - is it weight loss? If so, a carrot is good for filling up dogs but not putting in too many extra calories.

Is the food called satiety ...if so our jack russell was put on this ..it has a hormone in it to make the body think its full we had a genetic test done and he has the gene like alot of labs and some people where the brain doesn't tell them they are full therefore the body doesnt break the fats down so quickly. .cant remember what it is called ...we put him back on raw diet with plenty of veggies ..
Dogs naturally graze on grass and herbs from the garden or out on walks ....

Thanks for the replies. The purpose of the diet is for weight loss. The food is Royal Can in.

Maybe try the raw carrot then, either as a snack (good for dental hygiene too) or grated into the food.

Thanks for the replies. The purpose of the diet is for weight loss. The food is Royal Can in.
My jack was on royal canin satiety for weight loss :)
The grass wont hurt her ...I think you mentioned she has lab in her ...

Now all dogs eat grass at some points in life, to be honest I didn’t encourage it for my dogs, you say it will not hurt them! Well I suppose what’s been crawling all over the grass, your dogs so you decide , just my sixpence of info .

A perfectly normal thing for them to do. Sometimes they sick it all up and other times it comes out of their bums in the form of a stringy poo:eek:
I would never stop them though.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back