The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Ethics In Pet Food Manufacture

~Helen~

Warrior Queen
Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
A recent thread got me thinking about all those things we think we know about, or believe to be the case. Some are scare-stories, some are fact, and I know when I'm chatting to other people I always wish I could put my finger on case-histories and research to back up what I'm saying. If you have any links which you think would prompt a good discussions then please post them here!

We all have to make a decision on what we want to feed our pets - but that decision should be as informed as possible. I'm collecting as many links as possible so that people have access to a wide variety of information on which to base their decisions :thumbsup:

Article from The Independant Online August 2005

What Really Works UK-based website - pet food section

Taking the Lead with Gil White (UK based website)

uncaged.co.uk on IAMS - a link to an external site

uncaged - recommended pet foods

Animal Protection Institute (American)

"The Truth About Pet Food"

The Pet Food Report - claims to be a consumers guide to pet food, including understanding labelling

Provet.co.uk (healthcare information) - article on pet food additives

Burns - what's wrong with "normal" pet food?

BUAV - pet foods and vivisection

FLOURIDE IN PET FOOD?

FLOURIDE IN PET FOOD THREAD JULY 06

K9 isn't endorsing any of the views held on external website, and is not responsible for the accuracy of the contents. :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thankyou so much for bringing this to the fore Helen, I had a quick look at one or two of the sites and was horrified. I am so glad that I feed a natural diet. I have forwarded the details on to all of my dog owning friends, I hope it may change the way some of them feed.

Everyone on K9 should visit these sites.

Thanks Helen for putting these links on :thumbsup: .There's a couple i hadn't seen before.

just added a few more - in the interests of balance, I'd be grateful if anyone can offer an opposing view which supports the use of commercial food, or justifies any of the alleged activities mentioned in these links :)

thanks for posting this helen.it makes for interesting reading

sorry clicked it twice! :b

As mentioned before CAN'T & DON'T condone ANY of this,BUT was just wondering out of interest,all those of you who are abhorred by what these companies are doing, do not then use or eat anything made by said companies??????????

Because that would appear to be an awful lot of everyday stuff,from toothpaste & shampoo to milk products & chocolate bars.

Just got me thinking, there's really no point in just not buying their dog food to make a point you need to go the whole hog!!

Me & my OH avoid everything that is made by proctor & gamble,& i try my best to source things where i can,though it's not always easy.

I think that in the real world, you have to do the best you can and vote with your purse :thumbsup: and also be as aware as possible when you're shopping. Information - it's up to you what you do with it :)

Most of my information re pro's and con's of raw feeding dogs has come off a sighthound list that I'm on. The two very experienced sighthound owning vets on there have posted very compelling information anti raw feeding. I haven't kept any of it but if anything else comes up then I'll ask if I can forward it and post it on to here.

We try and feed our dogs and ourselves the best we can,I try and buy organic & fair trade etc when I can get it,but it is far more expensive, we have our own hens so that supplies fresh free range eggs & we actually have so much now that we sell off the surplus to friends ,mind you with the bird flu now I suppose people will be dubious!! We also have a small veg patch but it is a money thing with us we just can't afford to pay nearly twice the price for organic or naturally raised beef/lamb etc no matter how much we want to. :(

The same applies to our dog food,we try to do best by them & as said I don't know why some of our dogs can't eat fresh meat,but they just can't and I believed that we were feeding them the best and a dog food that agreed with them ALL.

But it appears we are now back to square one and need to go back to the drawing board .

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back