The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Excess marking

Claire415

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I'm having a real problem with my 2 year old Yorkshire Terrier, he was castrated 3 months ago and since has been urinating lots more absolutely everywhere, i am so frustrated with his new behaviour.
I did type a very long description about the issue but it wasn't approved so I thought a small description would start the thread off?

He is weeing on absolutely everything since the op, the sofa, cushions, doors, his own bed ect he just cocks his leg on everything! I've tried belly bands but he wees in them as soon as I put them on and then rubs along the floor because they are obviously uncomfortable

Have you checked for a urinary infection? Neutering often stops unwanted marking rather than starts it, so I'm wondering if the timing is just coincidence, and unrelated to the neutering.

I did type a very long description about the issue but it wasn't approved so I thought a small description would start the thread off?

Sorry about that - there is a limit to how long a post can be, though I'm not sure if the limit is. Also, you can't post links until you've made 10 posts - so if there was a link in it, that could explain it. If you want to make a longer post, you could try splitting it over a couple of posts.

I've no experience of the problem you're having with your Yorkie, but have you discussed it with your vet? Does he seem to be more anxious in general than beforehand, and did he mark at all beforehand?

Also, what are you using to clean up after him? I can only imagine how hard it must be to clean it up thoroughly when he's doing it so often.

That would be my first port of call too, vet check, if you can rule out it being a medical problem first then you can look at it as a behavioural issue.

Have you checked for a urinary infection? Neutering often stops unwanted marking rather than starts it, so I'm wondering if the timing is just coincidence, and unrelated to the neutering.
Yes vet has ruled out a UTI

Sorry about that - there is a limit to how long a post can be, though I'm not sure if the limit is. Also, you can't post links until you've made 10 posts - so if there was a link in it, that could explain it. If you want to make a longer post, you could try splitting it over a couple of posts.

I've no experience of the problem you're having with your Yorkie, but have you discussed it with your vet? Does he seem to be more anxious in general than beforehand, and did he mark at all beforehand?

Also, what are you using to clean up after him? I can only imagine how hard it must be to clean it up thoroughly when he's doing it so often.
Thank you for your reply
He has been to the vet and she said urine tests were fine,
He hasn't been like this before, I'm using vinegar and bicarb to spray where he's marked but it isn't working
He is more reactive and barks at everything, I'm just wondering if I can get something to calm his hormones

I'd have thought his hormones would have settled a bit by now. You could try something like Adaptil, it's a synthetic pheromone product that is supposed to help calm dogs.

Marking and reactive behaviour are both sometimes rooted in feelings of insecurity, so the two could be connected. Maybe the loss of his 'brave' testosterone has affected him more than normal.

I'd have thought his hormones would have settled a bit by now. You could try something like Adaptil, it's a synthetic pheromone product that is supposed to help calm dogs.

Marking and reactive behaviour are both sometimes rooted in feelings of insecurity, so the two could be connected. Maybe the loss of his 'brave' testosterone has affected him more than normal.
Thank you! I will buy some

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back