The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Extremely fussy eater

LhasaLvr

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
We rescued our lhasa apso 2 years ago, she has always been a fussy eater but it just seems to get worse and worse. Over the years we have persisted with dry food but she would literally eat a couple of mouthfuls and then walk away. Her weight plummeted and we went to the vet several times to see if there was something medical stopping her eat. Of course there was nothing.

3 months ago we changed her to a raw diet and we were over the moon that she cleared her bowl each time and we managed to get her to a healthy weight! Now over the last week the bubble has burst and she is once again refusing her food. Another visit to the vet, who cant give us any answers.

We have tried every trick we know. She is meant to have 265g of food a day, shes currently only eating around 100g.

How long has she not eaten for? Have you tried cooking some food for her? Some raw fed dogs seem to like it a little less raw, if you know what I mean. Will she tolerate something like fish or chicken and rice, or scrambled egg, just to have something in her tummy? And you could try putting down some kibble just in case she just wants a change, unlikely as that may be. Did the vet run any tests? Excuseme, who is very knowledgeable about nutrition will be along soon.

We changed her onto Natures Menu complete raw food 3 months ago, she cleared her dish every time and she went up to a healthy 7kg. Its really been since the 7th of March she started getting fussy again. Our vet suggested I heat the food in the microwave for 30 seconds - 1 minute, she still doesnt really want it. Teeth have been checked, blood tests done and our vet has checked her over. Our vet has told us to put the food down for 10-15 minutes, if she doesnt eat then remove it and dont feed her again until the next meal time - this doesnt work. Said to heat her food so it releases a scent for her - doesnt work.

As part of her raw diet she is allowed raw chicken drumsticks etc. She will happily eat that but she cant live on that alone.

I put kibble down tonight and she didnt go anywhere near it.

Health ways she is fine, although she goes through phases of doing her business in the house.

She is around 8 years old, she was a rescue so no one knows her exact age.

I would recommend trying Dorwest's Malted Kelp tablets. I have used them with success in the past with a very fussy whippet.

You have chosen a fantastic product to feed your little dog on, and with so much variety and different textures within the raw diet you should be able to vary her feeds and meat types without any problems.

Maybe you are just trying to offer her too much food and she just does not want so much. If she is well and happy on the small amount that she is eating and we know that your vet is keeping a close eye on her with you then it is possible that this is all she requires.

Your raw meat diet is so full of goodness and so much of it can be digested without much waste at the other end!

Has she been spayed? what are her energy levels like ? does she get lots of walks? These can all affect the amount of food that she may require.

Natures Menu make some fantastic varieties of frozen food. (as I am sure you are quiet aware)

Putting food down for only 10-15 minutes is good as she will learn to eat it or go without, also a very quick flash fry or a few seconds in the microwave also a good idea. Fully cooked food/meat will loose a lot of its beneficial goodness, so not a good idea.

The raw drumsticks with fat and skin left on are a good product, she can quiet safely stay on these for a while. Have you tried her on the green tripe, it smells really bad but is full of very good enzymes and intestinal bacteria with Omega 3 and Omega 6, it has a balance of prebiotic goodness, it would be fantastic if you could get her interested in this even if only once a week. Vary her raw types and textures to keep her interested

Our little working type cocker spaniels manage very well and hold good body weight when not working on 250g/1/2lb of raw product, their body weight is usually somewhere between 10 and 12.5 kg depending on which dog. One of the girls I have to be very strict with amounts and less than the 250g per day is used. Obviously more is given if needed when they are working. None of our girls have been spayed!

If your little dog has been spayed she will probably not need anywhere near the recommended amount!

I was going to suggest the same ..put the food down for 15mins and then nothing till the next meal. Maybe try splitting it into 2 or 3 much smaller meals..it could be overwhelming for ?

The 2 fail safe foods for me is green trip and liver ! Adding a bit of that to her bowl could encourage her maybe ..

The feeding guide is just that though..a guide ..if she looks well and is maintaining weight I wouldn't wore too much x

I was going to suggest the same ..put the food down for 15mins and then nothing till the next meal. Maybe try splitting it into 2 or 3 much smaller meals..it could be overwhelming for ?

The 2 fail safe foods for me is green trip and liver ! Adding a bit of that to her bowl could encourage her maybe ..

The feeding guide is just that though..a guide ..if she looks well and is maintaining weight I wouldn't wore too much x

Ours have three meals a day with James Wellbeloved dry food. If I mix in a little tinned tuna there is never any food left! Even just a teaspoon of it, mixed in with some water. Seems to work like magic. Hope you get it sorted.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back