The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Extremely Urgent Warning - Poisoning

louise061071

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
PLEASE FORWARD WIDELY TO ALL YOUR GROUPS/RESCUES AND CONTACTS IN UK INCLUDING ALL YOUR 'YORKSHIRE 'CONTACTS AND ALL WEBSITES,TWITTER, MYSPACE AND FACEBOOK FOR MAXIMUM PUBLICITY

EXTREMELY URGENT WARNING!!

Poisoning suspected after several dogs die in 'Cross Hills' area in 'Keighley' (West Yorkshire, UK)-please crosspost to all dog lovers in the area.

Please see the important RSPCA press release below.

If anyone has any info relating to this poisoning please contact the RSPCA asap on 0300 1234 999 or North Yorkshire police on 0845 6060247 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Owners must be heartbroken at losing their beloved companions so please alert anyone you know with dogs in the Yorkshire area to stay away from this site.

Thank you

SWAP team UK

Poisoning suspected after several dogs die

Dog walkers advised to take care in Cross Hills area

Friday 27 May 2011 The RSPCA and police are appealing to dog walkers in Cross Hills, Keighley, to take care after several dogs fell ill and died after being walked along the same footpath. The footpath, off Station Road, is a popular area for dog owners to walk their pets. North Yorkshire police and the RSPCA received calls after seven dogs died between Friday 20 and Wednesday 25 May. Another dog died yesterday (26 May). One veterinary practice in the area admitted five dogs which were suffering from seizures and died shortly afterwards. Another vet surgery admitted another three dogs which were suffering from similar symptoms and also died. The RSPCA and police are working with Craven District Council to try to determine the cause of the dogs’ deaths. Tests are also being carried out. RSPCA animal welfare officer (AWO) Sally Ramsden said: “We are extremely concerned about this situation. People are taking their dogs out along this footpath and within less than 20 minutes, the dogs are suffering convulsions and dying. “We don’t know what could be causing this but we strongly suspect that the dogs may have been poisoned. We also cannot rule out the possibility that this is being done deliberately. “These dogs have suffered horrendously and we desperately need to hear from anyone who has information about these incidents. In the meantime, we really need people to stop walking their dogs on this footpath.” Those with information should contact the RSPCA on 0300 1234 999 or North Yorkshire police on 0845 60 60 24 7 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111. The path has been cordoned off and signs advising dog owners have been put up.

Oh that's horrific :angry: I hope they find the cause quickly!

Edited to add, just did a quicjk google and it looks like all 8 dogs had been in the stagnant water. This may be another timely reminder to us all of the dangers of blue green algae :( :(

Last edited by a moderator:
there are signs up about blue green algae at Doncaster lakeside, but I saw a woman throwing a ball in the water for her dog to retrieve. Nutcase!

when I was reading the op I did wonder if it was poisoning, and if so whether it was provoked by dog mess. Confined and secluded paths are often a haven for irresponsible owners, and it drives me nuts as it breeds anti-dog feeling so we all suffer

its the pits when this happens, i lost my last lurcher to rat poison, it ripped me in half, so many things i did back then i dont do now.

oh no!

Was that via a consumed rat or just the poison lurcherman? What don't you do now?

I think we can all be a little niaive with our dogs sometimes, so it helps to learn from others' experiences

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back