The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Fair weather walkers

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Those fluffy crocs are just sooooooooo wrong!!!!!!!!!!:eek: Sorry.. I had crocs but either my daughter pinches them to run next door or across the road or Sid pinches them to add to his stash! I have a nice pair of clogs now, though mostly I live in my walking boots that I reckon if I washed the mud off they would actually fall apart, keep meaning to get a new pair:rolleyes:

I can't walk in Crocs... Though I can't walk in heels, either, which is annoying when you're my height. :mad:

It doesn't help that I have duck's feet, with wide toes and narrow heels, so in your standard 'posh shoe', my middle toe is in agony... a good portion of my weight is pressing on it; meanwhile, my heels slip out with every step.

http://billbird.co.uk/

this Portuguese maker works with men's styles, but if U'd be willing to wear a flat dancing shoe & a silk pantsuit or tunic & palazzo slacks, they might make something quite debonair -
Undandy - Design Your Shoe

A Windsor tassel flat in velvet might look quite smashing, in the right color & with a bespoke fit -
Slippers Archives — George Cleverley

there's also:
Custom Women Shoes | Customize Your Dream Shoe | truegault.com‎
http://www.truegault.com/custom/shoes‎

Scan your feet with our app to get precision fit shoes.
Made in Spain · Concierge Service · Designed By You · Our Fit Guarantee
Styles: Slingback, Pump, T-Strap, Boot, Peep-toe, Heel, Sandal, Bootie

U might also consider something here, in a nude / neutral or light metallic -
Design custom made shoes - Shoes of Prey

I just designed a pair of heels, but their "cone" heel is only available in 4.5", which is a ludicrous height for a 5' 8" adult. // They don't have a pump or stack heel, & i despise wedges. Chunky blocks don't turn me on, either.

- terry

I just designed a pair of heels, but their "cone" heel is only available in 4.5", which is a ludicrous height for a 5' 8" adult. // They don't have a pump or stack heel, & i despise wedges. Chunky blocks don't turn me on, either.

- terry

Well I'm 5 10 and used to regularly wear 5" heels...... Getting a bit old for those so 4" is my current max and to be honest I do find 3" to be more comfortable nowadays.

I'd never trust even a made-to-measure shoe to fit me, LfL - luckily, we hardly ever go anywhere posh so it's not a huge problem. Nowadays, 'best' clothes are ones that don't have mud on them... though I have been known to wear comfyish boots so no one can see the mud on the hem of my jeans:oops:

And don't get me started on getting jeans to fit:D

Can you not get jeans to fit Judy ? Hehe :D I find they make them all too small these days...I’m sure they were bigger when I was a young thing :oops:

I love that where a thread can go from fair weather dog walkers to shoes and jeans, brilliant!
I must add my thing of fair weather scooterists, I go out on mine in all weathers,( except high winds, as I am on the small side and am not keen on side winds taking me across the road!)and you get 'devout' scooterists that only ride in fair weather,and keep their scooter all cozy in a garage the rest of the time! hmmm...o_O

Flobo, OH is a fairweather biker, but to be fair, slippery roads and 600cc (I think) isn't a good combination. He's cursing the wet weather!

Given half a chance I'd be a fair weather dog walker, but I'd rather get wet than putting up with all the whingeing that would entail, and I'm well used to it now. I find it odd when people say, 'You can't go out in this!' Why not? It's only water, I get wetter in the bath.

Apart from the time Jasper and I got caught in a summer storm. By the time we got home I'm sure I was wetter than if I'd been in a bath. DS2, bless him, met us at the door with two towels - one for me and one for Jasper.

Does anyone else's dog really love the post-walk towelling? We make a great game of it, but I have to be quick getting the towel or he'll squeeze between my legs to squeegee himself dry - and he's 2 or 3 inches taller than my inside leg measurement...

It is funny, one of my dogs I walk, the owner always txts me if the weather is bad to say I don't need to stay out our usual time because of the weather and I always say I have my waterproofs, I am doing what I love and the dog is happy so long as i don't make her wear her coat! It is one thing I love being out in the elements, whatever they may be...

Crocs and high heels who would have thought it..

I dont wear either these days its walking shoes for most things and welly boots at the common because it turns into a bog at the slightest hint of rain.
Last year my best clothing buy was a full length rain mac I love it its even got a nice pleat bit in the back so I can wear it on the scooter!

We walk twice every day. He wears a coat if it is raining hard. I wear waterproofs and boots. Being a very fluffy dog if he decides to roll the mud sticks.
He definitely does not like rain sometimes he runs to my husband if I get his coat. He also walks very fast while he is on his lead. It is not unknown for him to just stop and look pleadingly at me as if saying he wants to go home..

He definitely does not like rain sometimes he runs to my husband if I get his coat. He also walks very fast while he is on his lead. It is not unknown for him to just stop and look pleadingly at me as if saying he wants to go home..

My beagle used to be like that if he saw me get my mac he would hide , if we go his lead on he would brace his feet against the doorstep and we had to lift him outside. Then he would walk really quickly do his toilet and turn for home..

I'm constantly changing my footwear as I'm a dog walker I throw out so many pairs of shoes. And I feel that we are between seasons at the moment. I went out and bought a load of spring pumps the other day hoping that the weather was changing and then it rained again and I've had to go back to my wellies with holes in them. I've definitely been guilty of being out with the 'wrong footwear' on my feet, due to the fact that I just can't afford to pay for anymore shoes.

for Ur leaking wellies, @hollysh -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/T0PDEALSUK-Flexible-Weather-Silicone-Waterproof/dp/B079J9NRZW/

Be sure the surface is very clean & dry, inside & out - remove the insoles, if there are any, B4 washing the holes & the surrounding area - anywhere the tape needs to cling. Tape over each hole, inside & out, & i'd give a margin of at least an inch on all sides. :)
It should keep yer feet dry for at least a few weeks, possibly months - but don't set the taped boots on a heating vent or leave them in full sun to air, as that will make the adhesive soften, & when it becomes tacky, the tape will slide or bunch, leaving gaps for water to enter.

- terry

I have now invested in Hunter wellies having worn out two sets of Joules wellybobs and a cheap pair of Brantano wellies. The Hunters have had hard wear so far and seem to be lasting better than any of the others. Also really like Aldi ski socks, they do actually keep your feet warm.
Sorry reads like an advert but have never thought of wearing Crocs for dog walking although I do wear them in the garden.
Sorry but I have never tried dog walking in heels.

My wellies are cheap £10 jobs from the local farmers co-operative. They must be 15 years old now and still going strong. I keep looking at the posh wellies, wincing at the prices and thinking that mine will last a few more years yet!

Now when it comes to heels I have no such inhibitions.....

I ruined two pairs of my sealskinz socks in my walking boots - the inside of the heal caught the sock and cut right through it, making them leak. So new boots and socks now required :(

I ruined two pairs of my sealskinz socks in my walking boots - the inside of the [boot, at the heel], cut right through [the socks], making them leak.
So new boots and socks now required. :(

Wow - i never heard of "sealskinz socks". I looked them up - but my boots are waterproof unless i step into water that goes OVER the tops of the boots, which i'll sincerely endeavor not to do! :eek:
My boots were clearance-priced at T J Maxx, i'd never have afforded them at full price, but at 1/3 [$60], I could swing it.

Do U have any shoe or boot maker licensed to use Gore-Tex in the U-K? - it's a dry-foam product that cannot be exposed to UV for any long periods, so it's the filling in the sandwich, but it allows water VAPOR to pass thru, while preventing fluid water from entering... so sweat exits as vapor, while rain, snow, puddles, etc, stay out. // I love the stuff.
My boots have a full-boot layer under the entire exterior, covered by the lining & insole-lining. So i can wear any ordinary socks i like; i use wool or wool-blends in winter, & silk the rest of the year. I can wear my boots comfortably even in 90' F weather.

- terry

Yes we have Goretex stuff here ;) The sealskinz were actually used when out on my dirtbike, as more often than not that involved standing (or falling off in) water that was at least knee deep! :D They are expensive, but totally waterproof and I had mine for several years before my dog walking boots ate them!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back