The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Feeding Advice Please

julie123

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi there

I have a 4 & half month old whippet pup called Louie, and i was hoping for some advice please because i am at a stage where i do not know what to do for the best regarding what to feed him.

When i first brought Louie home from the breeders at 8 wk old, i was feeding him a combination of Pedigree Chum puppy meat, along with Royal Canin Junior dry food. I then felt that he was going off his food, so after a while i changed to Winalot puppy meat, & Bakers puppy dry food. Louie was doing ok on these, but i noticed sometimes he could take them or leave them.

A couple of weeks ago, i went to a fun dog show in my area, where there was a stall advertising Oscar products. After speaking with the lady on the stall, arrangements were made for her to visit us at our home to discuss an appropriate dry food for Louie, as Oscar products, as the lady advised surpass a lot of other commercial products with regards to meat content, & vitamins.

I introduced the Oscar dry food fully yesterday, but unfortunately Louie was not keen. In fact in the evening he brought some of the food back up, not sure if this coincidental or not.

So, i am at a stage now where i am so confused with what to feed Louie, & what is best for him. As Louie is my first whippet, i am not an expert on feeding etc..,but i just want to do the right thing for him, especially with his young body developing.

Sorry for the long winded explanation, but didn't want to leave anything out. Your help much appreciated.

Many thanks

Julie

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi - I fed my last whippet, Fly, on Oscars for 7 years and was very happy with the quality of it. I always mixed in a couple of tablespoons of tinned Butcher's tripe or Naturediet, or some other nice tasty food to make it more palatable. I also added a tablespoon of bio yoghurt to each meal, which makes it a bit wetter and keeps up the 'good' bacteria levels in the dog's gut (reduces the gas emissions!!). Fly was in brilliant condition, even at 13 years old, and his poos were very high quality!

My new whippet (2.5 years) is currently on Butcher's tripe + mixer because that is what he is used to, but if I decide to change him over to complete feed it will definitely be Oscars. I wouldn't go near Bakers or Pedigree with a very long bargepole.

My whippet Fred has always got bored with complete dried food after a while. You probably do need to add some 'wet' food to make it more interesting if you want to continue with the complete.

I'd personally recommend Nature Diet. It's a 'wet' food in a sealed tub, 60% meat and contains good quality ingredients and is very lightly cooked so not too much goodness is destroyed. I've been feeding it for quite some time now, and they never tire of it. I sometimes throw in a small handful wholemeal biscuit mix just to add some crunch for their teeth. I'd recommend the chicken and tripe flavour or the chicken, as the lamb can be a bit rich in large quantities and affect t'other end :- "

Whatever you decide, change over diets gradually (mix a bit of the new in with the old, increasing the ratio of new to old slowly), or you'll have a dog with an upset stomach on your hands. :x

I feed my two on Oscars and mix in some meat or fish, they seem to enjoy it. My old greyhound was fed Oscars pinnacle of life for oldies and she did very well on it :)

Thank you lots. I feel much better about introducing Oscars now. I think i will definitely introduce a mixture into it though to make it more palatable. I really just want to do what is best for Louie, & for him also to enjoy his food.

All help very much appreciated, I'll get searching.

Thank you lots

Julie

Can I just ask why people wouldn't touch Bakers or pedigree??

Our family pooch Patches started off on Pedigree then we swapped to Bakers as she likes it better. She eats complete dry food, sometimes with a bit of warm water mixed in. She likes a bit of chicken or tuna as a treat but otherwise she always eats her food.

She is healthy and fit and her poos are fine, so whats wrong with this food??

doggy182 said:
Can I just ask why people wouldn't touch Bakers or pedigree??
Our family pooch Patches started off on Pedigree then we swapped to Bakers as she likes it better. She eats complete dry food, sometimes with a bit of warm water mixed in. She likes a bit of chicken or tuna as a treat but otherwise she always eats her food.

She is healthy and fit and her poos are fine, so whats wrong with this food??

For me I dont like all the colours in it, also I try and stick to a wheat free diet for them and pedigree and bakers just arent. I'm sure they would eat it if I gave it to them but I feel it would be like feeding e numbers to a small child just my opinion though

my dog eats eukanuba puppy and junior food i asked for there advice at the pet store and they told me pedergree and bakers was not good for dogs i get it from pet stores dry food is best for dogs , when puppys are young they are normaly fussey anyway my dog was really fussey at first but if you stick to the same dry food it nos it wil have to eat it becuase it wont get anything else just put about 2 small handfulls in the bowl and if it eats it it gets more but what i tend to do is give its breakfast at 9 30 then feed im at 5 because he wont eat it other wise but give him so long to eat it if he has not ate it take the dish a way till nexted meal time . :)i always wet the dry food abit this water

My boy Whisp is so fussy ,he will literally starve himself to get what he wants,wheras Chloe is like vacumn cleaner.

This is what works for Whisp, ASDa's own frozen beef mince only £1.05 a bag, put in the pan heat it up.

In there bowls I put in half of puppy meal & half of greyhound mix i put the meat in & make sure all the juices from the meat are there to somtimes add a wee drop of virgin oil .

Twice a day & he loves it , he's as fit as a Flea & his coat is realy shiny.

No more fusspot!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back