The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Feeding Dogs Tripe?

lurcherman

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
right time for all the facts on tripe, who feeds thier mutts? i want to know wot sort? green isnt it? how to use it ?raw yeah? is there anythink in it thats bad? and ive heard u need to keep ur worming up tp date? come on then lets have some facts..

ive read pages of stuff allready but i should have stated, i want peoples views what have been feeding their mutts so its a peeps to peeps thing.. thanx again.

yup I feed tripe, I worm my dogs every 3 months anyway so that's no different, for my dogs they thrive on it, good body condition, glossy coat, picture of health,

I buy them in blocks of 24 frozen, then leave one out over night to defrost, it costs me £7.44 for 24 blocks, I use half a block mixed with dog biscuts per day, they get fed twice a day so it lasts ages!

the only down side for me is the smell! I have a really weak tummy, so when I feed the dog's I've got a peg on my nose lmao! hope this helps :thumbsup:

I also buy the blocks of frozen tripe and also tripe & beef, my dogs have this at least 3 times a week and have done since puppies - they love it. I mix mine with Burgess supermixer, raw veggies and sometimes pasta or rice. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I only feed mine tripe once / twice a week coz of the smell, i find it unbearable... :x

julieleigh said:
I only feed mine tripe once / twice a week coz of the smell, i find it unbearable... :x

Dont do what I did when Oscar first arrvied, I cooked it :x :x you can imagine what the house was like for a few days. :x :x the smell of it raw is better I can assure you all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes Green tripe - I am lucky enough to get it straight from the abbatoir and we do our own mix with beef and a bit of offal. Mind have it twice a day - and they do brilliantly on it.

Smell doens't really bother me anymore, mind you I remember helping bag it all up when I was a very small girl so I guess after 25 or so years I have kind of got used to it!!

I work mine about every 6 months - never had a problem with worms - as the tripe is from human grade cows anyway - so they are wormed and up to date before they can be used in the food chain.

My neighbour feeds his dog with tripe sometimes and her coat is lovely and shiney but I must admit to me the smell is just too disgusting to contemplate feeding it to Ruby... :x It seems to make the whole dog smell of tripe and as she's a dog who loves a hug you end up smelling tripey too! I am extra sensitive to all smells and stinks at the minute as I'm pregnant but the smell of tripe just turns my stomach. I've started to give Ruby some fish... tuna and white fish which I hope will have the same effect on her coat without the whiff.

Btw if anyone feeds tinned tuna do you feed them the oil one? I've been giving her the spring water one as I think the brine one is way to salty and what about tinned sardines which type is best?

J

i feed tripe to Oto who has always been a fussy, picky eater and never put weight on. since he has been on tripe he clears the bowl and is thriving :)

he gets the frozen freeflow stuff which i mix with various different veg and rice,

i lob different things in occasioally to make sure he is getting a diverse diet

i've found that since he has been on tripe his whole attitude to food has changed, he'll eat the biscuits he never used to touch and even munches on the raw fruit and veg that he always avoided before.... if i had offered him a bit of raw carrot a year ago he would have looked at me like i was scum :lol:

as soon as i get a bigger freezer they are all going on it :thumbsup:

Mine have green tripe 2-3 times a week and its mixed with beef or chicken.

I get the food from Landywoods and its really good quality meat.

My lot have...............

am, minced tripe & biscuit(Laughing dog) ,veggies, & any supplements added

Midday, chicken wing

pm, chunk of tripe

Never had probs with worms,& do them once a year,unless someone(usually Murph),has eaten something disgusting :x

Yes, mine get tripe, along with other various minces. I use www.Landywoods.co.uk. I find the meat very reasonably priced and they do home delivery too.

They love it!

Mine have tripe or tripe & meat, tripe & lamb, tripe & chicken ............ all from Landywoods. They have this for their evening meal and it is mixed with either wholemeal biscuit/mixer/Burgess Greyhound complete.

I wean puppies onto it as I don't go down the route of milky meals for puppies! I figure they get enough milk from their mother because I do not separate them so mother decides when to wean them.

I worm mine every 3 months not because I think they get worms from the meat they eat but because every dog has worms unless wormed regularly. Dogs get sick not from having a particular wormer but because that wormer is effective and they have a large burden of worms suddenly depleted so it is better to worm at shorter intervals to stop the build up of adult worms in the gut and try to break the cycle of egg to adult worm.

I wean puppies onto it as I don't go down the route of milky meals for puppies! I figure they get enough milk from their mother because I do not separate them so mother decides when to wean them.

yep,i agree with you :thumbsup:

I feed green tripe with Laughing Dog bisc +++ almost every day. With 6 its very economical and they love it! Even visiting dogs love it. Years ago when I was feeding a freinds dogs I objected to the smell, now I hardly notice. My pups (6 weeks) have been weaned on a mixture of milk and meat meals. The meat meals include tripe. The first time I offered the pups tripe they refused but, a few days later they ate with relish.

julie_s said:
My neighbour feeds his dog with tripe sometimes and her coat is lovely and shiney but I must admit to me the smell is just too disgusting to contemplate feeding it to Ruby...  :x   It seems to make the whole dog smell of tripe and as she's a dog who loves a hug you end up smelling tripey too! I am extra sensitive to all smells and stinks at the minute as I'm pregnant but the smell of tripe just turns my stomach. I've started to give Ruby some fish... tuna and white fish which I hope will have the same effect on her coat without the whiff.
Btw if anyone feeds tinned tuna do you feed them the oil one? I've been giving her the spring water one as I think the brine one is way to salty and what about tinned sardines which type is best?

J

Tinned tuna in oil, i mix it with rice or pasta, veggies, biscuit, her loves it, as for the sardines, her favourite is the ones in tommy sauce, shes a greedy little git, only wants me fer the grub i put in front of her, sits there on 3 legs quivering as tho hers been raised on a shivering tit.

keith :thumbsup:

midlanderkeith said:
julie_s said:
My neighbour feeds his dog with tripe sometimes and her coat is lovely and shiney but I must admit to me the smell is just too disgusting to contemplate feeding it to Ruby...  :x   It seems to make the whole dog smell of tripe and as she's a dog who loves a hug you end up smelling tripey too! I am extra sensitive to all smells and stinks at the minute as I'm pregnant but the smell of tripe just turns my stomach. I've started to give Ruby some fish... tuna and white fish which I hope will have the same effect on her coat without the whiff.

J

Tinned tuna in oil, i mix it with rice or pasta, veggies, biscuit, her loves it, as for the sardines, her favourite is the ones in tommy sauce, shes a greedy little git, only wants me fer the grub i put in front of her, sits there on 3 legs quivering as tho hers been raised on a shivering tit.

keith :thumbsup:

Cheers :thumbsup: Sardines in tomato sauce it is then... poured over a bowl of pasta. This post is like a doggy ready-steady-cook plenty of ideas, some one should write a recipe book. "twenty ways with tripe and tuna"

Julie

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back