The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Feeding Elderly Hound

Louise_Simon

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Help

My old greyhound has now officially lost the plot and has gone off most food stuffs that she would previously take your arm off for :( shes lost quite a bit of weight and we need to try and get some back on her.

She is now very picky whats good for breakfast she will turn her nose up at by lunchtime :blink:

So whats fattening but not too high in protein the only stuff I can think of is pasta and potatos (I'm not a foody and have no clue)

I know we are coming to the end of our time together, but I want to make that time as pleasant as possible for her. Shes now on Activate which has switched a few lights back on but her attitude to food is worrying (I've never had a problem with her and food before)

Thanks for any help

Lou

Towards the end of our old boy Tizer's life he was fed tripe and rice with a little bit of natural yoghurt added to help with his sensitive tummy.

Might be worth a try as I know most love tripe :thumbsup:

Best of luck :huggles:

I have two 11 year old greyhounds a 7 year old a grey and a 7 year old lurcher so all getting on a little. if any of mine go off there food the first thing I do is get there teath checked it there ok try pasta with sardines in tomato sauce my seam to like that better than oil and past is allways a good one for putting weight on. if shes realy run down try complan or somthing simaler of sick peoepl who are off there food. fish allways get mine eating is everthing else fails

Thanks for the speedy replies

What do you do with tripe, where do you get it from :b

Betsy only has 3 teeth left although this has never caused her any problems :thumbsup:

She does still like pasta and sardines :D

She is 14 in August :huggles:

Last edited by a moderator:
Louise_Simon said:
Thanks for the speedy replies
What do you do with tripe, where do you get it from  :b

Betsy only has 3 teeth left although this has never caused her any problems  :thumbsup:

She does still like pasta and sardines  :D

She is 14 in August  :huggles:

awww bless her (my daughter is called betsy) do you have any pic's :)

give her pasta and sardiens and then use that to sneack chicken meat anything elas in it. as long as she things shes getting her own way with food you can sneak anything in lol

Here she is

sorry its a bit blurry

DSC02590__576_x_432___432_x_324_.jpg

hi,try jollies minced tripe it stinks :x but they seem to love it. GOOD LUCK :thumbsup:

My lot love pilchards in tomato sauce. If chewing is a problem you can get pasta shapes designed to go in soups which would not take much chewing at all.

whippetsrus said:
My lot love pilchards in tomato sauce.  If chewing is a problem you can get pasta shapes designed to go in soups which would not take much chewing at all.

Having no teeth has never held her back as she hoovers, she even did this when she had teeth :D

I order all the meat for the dogs from www.landywoods.co.uk - and I feed it raw

Aww she is lovely, Coley fish and mashed potato might be something to try, it's nice and gentle on the digestion :thumbsup:

She's lovely :wub:

My elderly whippet loved tinned Butcher's Tripe (you can get it in the supermarket). I swear by it for putting weight on dogs - and it never seems to upset their tummies.

Tinned tuna (ethically caught ;) ), sardines and white fish is good.. with a bit of cheese grated on top to keep up the calories. And softened cooked veg. (I used to cook up steak mince and veg stew when she felt off her food).

My old girl would KILL for French bread right up to the end - it was definitely her favourite food in the whole world she told us. White bread isn't supposed to be that great for dogs but she was ancient so it wasn't going to kill her. She had all her teeth too so she loved crunching it. But a friend gave her terrier a slice of bread soaked in milk when he lost his teeth and he loved that.

Tinned rice pudding is good too - and easy to eat and you don't need to worry about tooth decay. Good for tempting a poorly appetite too.

Good luck - I love the dignity of our oldies and they still love their cuddles and all we do to make them comfortable.

You can get frozen tripe from pets at home Lou ..... Its good stuff for putting weight on :thumbsup: ....Bless old Bets :huggles:

My old greyhound girl loved Natures Menu food. It's not high calory, so not good specifically for putting weight on, but I used to mix it with a little rice or pasta, or even add a slice of bread.

Sardines were always a favourite, as was scrambled egg. If all else failed, then more than anything else in the world she loved cheese sandwiches (w00t)

i always swear by oily fish like sardines or mackerel or herrings.also breast of lamb cooked in the oven is lovely and they really enjoy it.i make ours rice pudding rather than buy tinned as its far cheaper to make.a big bag of rice is only coppers still and you just add loads of milk,honey to sweeten it and a dab or two of butter.i put it in the oven when im cooking a roast or something else then it cooks for free if you see what i mean! :D mine all love garlic in anything whether its garlic bread or lasagne or any other pasta in tomato and garlic sauce with cheese sauce on. ive currently got 3 very oldies and they all love the above :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone for your ideas, we will give it all a go :cheers:

The Whippets are going to be sooooooooo jealous :)

Suet dumplings is another good one - cook some in the top of your stew to give your old lady (just make sure you add onions to the pan after you've taken the dumplings out) :thumbsup:

hi my next door nabour has had problems with their 14year old dog at the mo and he went of his food but the vet recamended CAESER FOR ELDERLY DOGS and he loves it hope this helps hope she gets better and shes lovely,cal :thumbsup:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back