The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Feeding My Whippet

Joy Webb

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hello, I have a 6 month old gorgeous whippet, he is very fussy indeed. He has recently gone off his Pedigree chum tins and refused to eat. He now wants the poches, but these are more expensive. Is any one elses whippet fussy eaters. I also feed him with prurina bakers complete aswell.

Bakers is full of chemicals!!!!!!!! Tinned pedigree is not very good either, have you tried Butchers tinned tripe and wholemeal mixer? Or green raw tripe, very smelly but they love it, with a little mixer. James Welbeloved complete or Burns, both pretty good completes. Does you butcher do a pet mince, you could feed that cooked with mixer.

Or Nature Diet wet food, mind you if you find pedigree pouches expensive the Nature diet isn't cheap.

Chicken, it is so cheap, basic super market chicken is very cheap.

Hope I have given you some ideas.

Hello, I have a 6 month old gorgeous whippet, he is very fussy indeed. He has recently gone off his Pedigree chum tins and refused to eat. He now wants the poches, but these are more expensive. Is any one elses whippet fussy eaters. I also feed him with prurina bakers complete aswell.
how do you know he wants pouches?? dont allow him to be fussy i have 5 and they all eat whats put down and if they dont they have to wait until the next feed time, they soon realise going hungry is no fun, does he have complete down all the time?

how do you know he wants pouches?? dont allow him to be fussy i have 5 and they all eat whats put down and if they dont they have to wait until the next feed time, they soon realise going hungry is no fun, does he have complete down all the time?

Ah ha, but competition will make your dogs and mine come to that, eat all their food just in case one of the pack decide to try and steal it. A single whippet does not have the same incentive to eat.

I would say Joy, don't start chopping and changing the food, find something you whippet likes and stick to it. You can give the odd change, but not too often. Six months is a bit of a change in hormone levels which may have something to do with it. Don't worry, no dog starves itself to death.

:cheers:

Sorry to say this but im sure you know all tinned or pouched meat is full of water ie moisture.

I see alot of people seem to feed complete or tinned food,cannot get this.

Read up on the BARF diet,this is a natural diet not the equivalent of microwave convenience food.

Most fussy feeders are due to the owner changing the food all the time.

My apologies for sounding horrible,i have had working lurchers and whippets 30yrs and complete food or tinned food

just would not have been nutrition wise enough.

Ask yourself why have dogs a mixture of sharp teeth and flat teeth,answer because some tear and some grind and crush food up.

Good luck with your wee one,please if you can check the barf diet out on the net,i do believe its the best diet there is.

Sorry to say this but im sure you know all tinned or pouched meat is full of water ie moisture.

Read up on the BARF diet,this is a natural diet not the equivalent of microwave convenience food.

My apologies for sounding horrible,i have had working lurchers and whippets 30yrs and complete food or tinned food

Ask yourself why have dogs a mixture of sharp teeth and flat teeth,answer because some tear and some grind and crush food up.

Good luck with your wee one,please if you can check the barf diet out on the net,i do believe its the best diet there is.
its all very well telling people to feed their dogs BARF........but some people have busy lives and dont have time, or quite simply dont want to ;)

we tried all sorts of different foods for our whippie and the only ones she would eat was a tinned food.............she looks good, has a shiny coat, good teeth and she loves it :thumbsup:

Not everyone wants to feed BARF. There are a number of good complete foods on the market which have already been mentioned. Bakers is, I'm afraid, dreadful stuff and can cause skin problems and hyperactivity amongst other things.

I know it is really worrying when your dog won't eat, but you must steel yourself and put food down twice a day and take it away after 15 minutes. No treats, nothing else until the next meal. Your dog will eat within 5 days - it will not starve.

hiya, try butchers tripe they do many flavours and mixed in mixer biscuits or a dry complete but don't add too much, if he turns his nose up don't worry too much he will eat when he is hungry, never known any breed of dog to starve themselves good luck :thumbsup:

I mentioned tinned Butchers in my first post, I know a lot of people feed this and their dogs seem to do well on it. It is difficult with a singleton whippet, as I said, no dog will starve itself, eventually he will eat. Six months is a difficult time as his hormones will be changing as he matures, some sail through with no problems, but there is always the odd one who struggles a bit.

Good luck, but above all, don't worry. :cheers:

Don't worry my whippet bitch was very fussy the 1st year, I rang the breeder a few times to pick her brains on what to do. Eventually she liked her biscuits soaked and ped chum, so to boost up the fact she liked a rubbish dog food I brought James welllbeloved (soaked) added dog food and occasionally cooked minced beef and chicken. Have also picked up a lot of advice along the way on here, people giving ideas of feeding her scrambled egg and pilchards etc.

Good Luck

Donna

I would only ever use tinned food as a last resort or in emergencies...

you can feed dogs really well by cooking for them-veg, meat, fish, chicken, brown bread/pasta cook the lot in a big pan-

will last you for the week- :thumbsup:

karen

its all very well telling people to feed their dogs BARF........but some people have busy lives and dont have time, or quite simply dont want to ;)

we tried all sorts of different foods for our whippie and the only ones she would eat was a tinned food.............she looks good, has a shiny coat, good teeth and she loves it :thumbsup:
busy life? feeding barf is no different to preparing an extra evening meal i have 5 whippets we both have full time jobs 3 children the youngest 2 years old and i manage, why have a dog if its too much trouble to give them the best

busy life? feeding barf is no different to preparing an extra evening meal i have 5 whippets we both have full time jobs 3 children the youngest 2 years old and i manage, why have a dog if its too much trouble to give them the best
That is your opinion that it is the best...not everyone has the space to store the food, or like the idea of bones and raw meat, many dogs cope quite happily and glow with health on commercial made dog food...

...I for the record feed raw...

im not talking about myself....i dont feed barf because i dont want to , not because i dont have time..........but some might not want the extra work after a long day at work....doesnt make them bad dog owners

why have a dog if its too much trouble to give them the best

not to sure if that is aimed at me, but im not sure its a very nice remark ................i think the world of my whippie and she is very well taken care of...........the food she is given is good quality and she is in perfect condition..................SO IN MY OPINION SHE HAS THE BEST !

you should feed your dog what your comfortable with................not with what is rammed down your throat as being the best.

Last edited by a moderator:
My recommendation to anyone would be to feed raw. This was what we suggested to the people who had one of our pups and all of them have taken this option, which I am delighted with. However, if they couldn't have fed raw, the recommendation was to feed the best quality complete possible - in our opinion this is Nature Diet or JWB, Arden Grange or Burns.

Feeding raw isn't time consuming but I can completely get why some people don't like the idea of tripe, raw mince, big meaty ribs etc. So go for the next best thing.

Like everything it's all personal choice and finding what suits you and your whippet. :thumbsup:

Every time a thread about feeding BARF comes up I feel guilty that I don't feed it to my dogs. I have a real dilemma about it. I am sure it is the best, but having worked for a vet years ago (partly qualified as a vet nurse) I witnessed many problems associated with dogs eating bones (impacted rectum I think it was called). Also my brother/sister-in-law tragically lost their Westie a few years ago after a bone got stuck in her oesophagus. :(

I don't think I could ever bring myself to feed chicken wings, but I would like to try partially feeding raw food (maybe complete for breakfast, and then raw in the evening), and wondered the best way to go about it.

Dolly's (aged 4) already has quite a lot of tartar on her teeth and and her breath is unpleasant. They do have hide chews daily, but they don't seem to clean the teeth very well, so what bones should I buy to help with teeth cleaning. (I haven't bought or eaten meat/chicken for about 17 years. :rolleyes: )

Lamb ribs are fantastic. If you supervise them when they are eating bones (I always do) then there should be no problems. We feed 7 whippets raw, all of them have bones and (touch wood) none have had any scary moments.

Lamb ribs are fantastic. If you supervise them when they are eating bones (I always do) then there should be no problems. We feed 7 whippets raw, all of them have bones and (touch wood) none have had any scary moments.
Thanks - I'll let them try some lamb bones under close supervision. :thumbsup:

Sure they will love them. My two are just finishing off turkey necks at the moment - possibly the most disgusting sight ever though!! :x

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back