The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Feeding twice a day

Pam99

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Please can someone offer advice on when to start feeding your dog twice a day instead of 3 times? I have a 5 month old boxer who i currently feed at 8, 12.30 and 5pm. Ive read varying advice about when to transition them that ranges from 6 to 12 months old.

At 7 months 2 feeds a day should be fine. Just wait a little longer.

I think it depends on the dog a bit too. They sometimes show less enthusiasm for a meal so that's a sign.

My dog has two proper meals but does get a few pieces of his food before his morning walk, and some on his walk as rewards, so you could say he sort of still has three meals. He is 10.

Mine have always decided for themselves by being unenthusiastic about the middle meal.

I realise that certain breeds wouldn't ever be unenthusiastic about food!!

I realise that certain breeds wouldn't ever be unenthusiastic about food!!

Or certain individual dogs!

I can't remember what age I did it, but I weaned Jasper off his lunch by making it a smaller portion each day till it was just a few bits of kibble, then used them for training rather than in a bowl.

Yes i cant imagine Ruby not being enthusiastic for food at any time of the day! I'll certainly leave until shes a bit older and then gradually remove the meal. It seems cruel in a way, i cant imagine having to wait all day inbetween meals

For my benefit - assuming the dog is happy and enthusiastic about his 3 meals each day, would there be any reason to switch?

For my benefit - assuming the dog is happy and enthusiastic about his 3 meals each day, would there be any reason to switch?

I have read that it's good for a dog's stomach to be empty(ish) some of the time to give the digestion a rest - and an athlete would be very careful about what they ate soon before an event. Whether that's based on research or assumptions I don't know.

And of course, if you have the sort of dog who can start whining an hour before each meal, the more meals means the more whining :D

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back