The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Fergal And Talisker

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Simon...tidy dog :thumbsup: I may be wrong, but some time ago you had posted something about loss of hair on your dogs legs in reply to some other thread i started? Hopefully it was as i thought wear and tear? You did speak to the breeder if you had any concerns? Not to worry, he's a cracker and if that prob. has not passed PM :cheers: no expert but do all i can to help/point you in right direction of those more in the know :thumbsup: .

Yes, that was me. It seems to happen in cycles, although his fur keeps breaking from rubbing on his collar, i've tried 3 different types but he still has short fur on his neck, which leaves some amusing wingy flaps under his ears. Shame, I quite like him to have one of those thick maines.

Oh well, love him as he is. :))

:lol: Oh right simon :thumbsup: Think i've mixed the problem up, no worries, i must have got it wrong thought it was something to do with hair on his legs...

My dogs never wear collars now (I know it makes sense to most folks) however, I dont have them wear them and only use slip leads when they are out, for the primary reason that it does rub the coat away if they have collars on all day, every day. Also an sickening incident many moons ago where we walked away lucky (with both hearts pounding :sweating: ) scared me off them, as the dog (although he was broken coated 1st x deer) got caught by the collar at considerable speed ... i vowed then to give them a miss even though in regard to that dogs coat it mattered little.

Thats my personal choice, as you say an impressive mane is just that :thumbsup: Dunno if you use a traditional 'hound' collar for him (you know the type? And there are such lovely one's now...EDIT to say i've looked at the pic you posted and he's wearing that type, not to worry, you say you've tried a few) have you tried the thin rolled leather type? This type seem better for not wearing away as much hair, just an observation. I realise you are in a built up area, he's a big dog etc., but get it off as much as you can :- " :lol:

All the best

:cheers:

Sheena

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes it only goes on when we go out and i've been using a rolled collar for about 4 months now, hoped this would work due to less surface area.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back