The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Ferrets!

thanks for changing the forum name, now maybe people may be able to post on a larger topic and not step on anyones toes!!

i :lol:

hi gaz, you havent stood on my toes mate. its been a long time coming, getting the named changed from the [coursing forum] to a more suitable title. regards sparky :cheers:

Hi Tony

Long nets are best if you've got a large warren with loads of holes and especialy if theres loads of brambles ect that get in the way of setting purse nets.

as you just set the long net say 6 ft from the hedge and your away saves a lot of time and cut hands.

Mark Roberts said:
Hi Tony
Long nets are best if you've got a large warren with loads of holes and especialy if theres loads of brambles ect that get in the way of setting purse nets.

as you just set the long net say 6 ft from the hedge and your away saves a lot of time and cut hands.

cheers mate,wish i had one of them when i had ferrets espicially for the cut hands like you say and i always seem to miss one bolt hole no matter how many nets i used.

Long nets have sort of made a come back over the last few years or so, so many myths about such a simple tool.

The baskets that have recently been raved about are certianly making life a lot easier, definatley the way foward in my humble opinion.

IMG_0991.jpg

IMG_0099.jpg

P1010076.jpg

Those basket net systems are a waste of time in my eyes m8 i can set a traditional one in about the same and i don,t have to carry a great basket around.

plus they cost an absolute fortune not for me m8. I put 2-1 bagging in all the nets i make for people and have never had anyone complain. I also use the 54mm mesh and find it much better.

I think its best passing down the skills of traditional longnetting methods,my 12 year old son can set a 100 yd long net on his own at night. the traditional method is also better on hilly ground and for using in ditches.

But thats just my opinion.

a traditional longnet set

IMG_0002.jpg

a couple of traditional longnets ready to be set

IMG_0005.jpg

i know which i'd sooner carry up the moors mate

Horses for courses mate, i used to use the traditional set up, but having used both, i find the basket much easier, also i make my own baskets at a cost of about £8 each, cant get any cheaper than that, i make mine doubles, so two baskets can hold 300 yards of quickset net. Want a race? :D

frodo baggins said:
Horses for courses mate, i used to use the traditional set up, but having used both, i find the basket much easier, also i make my own baskets at a cost of about £8 each, cant get any cheaper than that, i make mine doubles, so two baskets can hold 300 yards of quickset net. Want a race?  :D
ok if you make your own but have you seen the retail prices? plus i've found them impossible to set in ditches and on land thats bumpy. I use alot of nets upto 50yds when i'm ferreting i try to surround the burrows or cut off there escape routes, most of my ferreting is thick hedges and bank sides so i can set the traditional ones as i want them.

Plus i find them easier to take the rubbish out of at the end of the day.

All in all it's what people prefer as you say horses for courses, if i was ferreting on bowling greens and flat fields i'd probally have a couple but unfortunately i only get the permission with thick hedges and ditches on so i'll have to stick with the traditional ones for now

I admit that there are one or two companies that are selling these baskets and quickset nets for what can only be described as silly money, thier buisness's will fail if they continue to rip people off in such a fashion.

Most of my ferreting is hedgrows too, very few open burys, i also do quite a bit of night netting and this ive found is realy where the baskets come into thier own, where you need to cover a big distance quickly.

Im not knocking the old ways at all, in fact i still have a couple of traditional nets that i use.

As for cleaning out debri from the nets, with the baskets you are hands free, makes life a lot easier.

All the best.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back