The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Finally Home - & Donaueschingen

Ridgesetter

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
After 6 weeks away, we're finally home but to bitterly cold weather. Even snowing outside Sydney! :eek:

We started our trip with the World Show in Sweden and ended with a couple of days in Bangkok after judging at Donaueschingen Sighthound Show.

Friends took some of the dogs and my son looked after the rest and even managed to get the RR’s mated! :thumbsup: He told me I can’t go away again unless I board the dogs. I reminded him about his short memory and the lack of board he pays, the food and wine he and his girlfriend eat, the garaging of the jet ski, etc. But look what I came home to:

Alice_x_Carson_4.5_Group.JPG

My VERY good friend, Hilary Spence of Padtheway Salukis, whelped Alice and reared the puppies for me. I came home to 5 healthy 4½ week old weaned and toilet trained puppies whose tails never stop wagging. :thumbsup: I think Hilary did a better job than I could have. :)

All the dogs are now back home together. Peaches, our Saluki, ensconed back on the lounge where she believes she belongs.

6 weeks in winter was a bit too long and some of the whippies lost weight, especially Clover, who is a mummy's girl, so lots of small frequent meals and already in a couple of days, she's looking better. Our old girl, Maggie, at 15 years, had an eye removed 4 days before we left so my son had to manage her as well but he did a great job and although she’s a little frailer, she’s fine.

Donaueschingen was a wonderful show with a great format and a credit to the organisers. I had an absolutely fabulous time. :p The Sighthound Shows run Saturday and Sunday, there is a Best of the Best show Saturday night (BIS and BIG1 winners), and at the end of Sunday, the Best In Shows compete for Supreme Best In Show. This year, both Sighthound shows were won by the Afghan, however, whippets did feature in some of the major awards (Veteran, Puppy and Junior In Show). The Best of the Best on Saturday night was won by the Azawakh who won RUBIS Sunday at the Sighthound Show.

There were many wonderful whippets and in some cases, there wasn’t much at all between the placings There were several that I would happily have brought home .

My Best Veteran was an outstanding bitch and at 13½ was still a lovely shape and great mover which earned her Veteran in Show on the Saturday. :cheers:

I had many debates with my FCI co-judges as for me, we are taught to choose the best representative on the day from whatever class and age. The FCI system doesn’t allow for champions to be under 2 which I have no problem with but I really would have liked to place my puppies and to be able to have them and the Juniors compete for BOB. One of my co-judges said that although puppy may be the best on the day, as a puppy, they shouldn’t be that mature and developed. I understand but for me, judges leave their breeders’ hats at home and whilst I may reward a dog in the ring, as a breeder I may feel the dog is finished for it’s age and may be too heavy as a mature adult.

I'll try and post some pics in separate posts. John used the camera for the first time, so the shots weren't great and he missed a few. :(

Congratulations to all the winners and place getters and it was a pleasure to judge your beautiful dogs. I still haven't studied the catalogue yet so really don't know much about any of the dogs.

The washing is done, the suitcases packed away, the kennels are scrubbed, the dogs arelying in front of the fire so now I can get back to wasting time playing with the babies. :)

Cheers

Thanks for the update Toni. Interesting reading. Looking forward to some pics.

Lovely little timewasters you've got there too! :thumbsup:

My BOB at Donaueschingen

Petit Fille z Uplnku from the Czech Republic

Donaueschingen_BOB.jpg

Owner: Veronika Kueerova-Chrpova

Waiting for the official pics to be loaded onto the Club site.

Cheers

Thanks for the info and glad you enjoyed your loooonnnggg time away. :D

The babes look lovely...lots of luck for the future with them :thumbsup: I think I'll try that tactic the next time I have a litter due :lol: ..obviously Hilary is worth her wieght in whippets as a friend! I have a friend here in Ireland who is originally from Australia & has a lovely "Padtheway" Saluki,he is called P.Notorious & is a Ch and she has had a very successful litter from him too.

I bet you are glad to be home though,no matter how much you enjoyed your time away?

I look forward to seeing the pics.

Saw some great pics on Claudine's thread - LOVED your outfit for judging Toni - really lovely!

aslan said:
Saw some great pics on Claudine's thread - LOVED your outfit for judging Toni - really lovely!
The outfit is no more ... :angry: I hand washed it, put the skirt on a hanger and put it on the line to dry. I went to visit my mum and left the dogs loose in the yard as my son was home. I came home and my son showed me my ruined skirt. My puppy RR decided on a gallop past to jump up to drag it off the line and ripped the skirt. I could have easily given her away. She has taken to leaping up and pulling things off but when pegged, they just come off and nothing has ever been damaged - just needed rewashing. Unfortunately the skirt was light cotton, and because it was clipped onto the hanger, obviously a little more sturdy than just pegs. My fault really. I know she sometimes does this so I either should have hung it inside or locked her away. :(

Oh dear! (for want of a polite expression - what I would really say can't be put on k9!)

Did you cry? I would have, with frustration at myself! (I am known to do this on a regular basis - LOL)

Ridgesetter said:
My BOB at Donaueschingen
Petit Fille z Uplnku  from the Czech Republic

View attachment 58892

Owner:  Veronika Kueerova-Chrpova

Cheers

Interesting, another BOB European Whippet, bred from crossing the show and racing lines.

The other was the dog Kathy Thomas put up in Czech Republic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seraphina said:
Ridgesetter said:
My BOB at Donaueschingen
Petit Fille z Uplnku  from the Czech Republic

View attachment 58892

Owner:  Veronika Kueerova-Chrpova

Cheers

Interesting, another BOB European Whippet, bred from crossing the show and racing lines.

I just want to say something here

I am interested to know why a Whippet should be different if it races or competes at a Conformation Exhibition.... the standard should be the same.

I had the same beef with Pointers..... I had a very lovely and typey Pointer Bitch (all Crookrise breeding) and went to a Show in Rural Australia.... I competed against another bitch.... the judge entered into some conversation with myself and the owner of the other bitch and explained a dilemma that he was experiencing.... the dilemma was.... Madam (me) you have a show bitch..... Madam (the other exhibitor) you have a working bitch.... made me so mad.... my "show bitch" was gorgeous, but she also worked, in fact her "birdy" instincts were a damned nuisance at shows as they took over her concentration.... so.... back to the Whippet... why should there be a differ o:) ence in breeding for show or racing... or am I missing something?? o:) :teehee:

chakrata said:
Seraphina said:

I am interested to know why a Whippet should be different if it races or competes at a Conformation Exhibition.... the standard should be the same.

I had the same beef with Pointers..... I had a very lovely and typey Pointer Bitch (all Crookrise breeding) and went to a Show in Rural Australia.... I competed against another bitch.... the judge entered into some conversation with myself and the owner of the other bitch and explained a dilemma that he was experiencing.... the dilemma was.... Madam (me) you have a show bitch..... Madam (the other exhibitor) you have a working bitch.... made me so mad.... my "show bitch" was gorgeous, but she also worked, in fact her "birdy" instincts were a damned nuisance at shows as they took over her concentration.... so.... back to the Whippet... why should there be a differ o:) ence in breeding for show or racing... or am I missing something?? o:) :teehee:

You are right, they should not differ, but many of the top racing dogs could not compete in conformation with the show dogs, while many show dogs have no hope keep up with a racing dog on the track.

There are some show dogs who are also fast, and it is good to see dogs with large proportion of racing dogs in their pedigree to be competitive in the ring :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Seraphina said:
chakrata said:
Seraphina said:

You are right, they should not differ, but many of the top racing dogs could not compete in conformation with the show dogs, while many show dogs have no hope keep up with a racing dog on the track.

There are some show dogs who are also fast, and it is good to see dogs with large proportion of racing dogs in their pedigree to be competitive in the ring :thumbsup:

Toni, I have a question for you about a comment you made earlier which concerned me somewhat. You said, as a judge, you wanted to award a puppy that, as a breeder, you knew would be over the top & too heavy as an adult. Why would you want to award that puppy anything at all other than 1st puppy? That over the top, heavy adult will be bred from & affect the breed in years to come. It will throw its like & newcomers will think that's the norm. Surely you should be judging the exhibits within their age group & where their development should be at that stage in their lives. A puppy should look like a puppy, not a mature adult. I agree, wholeheartedly, with the rule that no dog (not even mine; lol) should be a Ch. until 2 y.o. in fact, in whippets, I wish it could be 3 y.o.

Dream on, Gail. Dream on. Utopia is a long way off.

at the Swedish WS, did you happen to judge any sighthounds from Latvia? quite few people I know competed there.

and more piccies :D

p.s. I think your BOB winner is stunning :wub:

Hi Toni,

I just found your post and thought I might add two photos I took at Donaueschingen, which show you judging a friend´s puppy. It was nice to see somebody so obviously enjoying judging Whippets :b

dusty1.jpg

dusty2.jpg

Cheers,

Barbara

I mustn't have explained myself well, Gail. :( What I was trying to say was that for me on the day, as a judge, I loved some of my younger puppies and juniors and they didn't come back into the ring. I never said the puppy was too big or heavy but in discussion with other judges, they said that puppies can't compete with adult mature dogs because although they may be gorgeous puppies, they may develop into heavy, big, coarse adults.

I still felt these dogs should be considered for CACIB and similar to us, if they win, they can't apply for their championship until 2 years of age. I rarely ask age as I don't consider that important. I'm judging a dog against a standard, albeit, written for a mature dog.

There were many points of the FCI system that I admire and wish we had here. I judged RR's on the Sunday and a breed warden sat with my steward, She is a vet and very interesting and we had many discussions but mainly about the merits of 42 teeth. :D So, do you breed from the dog with 42 teeth, lacking angulation, soft topline, and discard the dog with 41 teeth that is better constructed? The same applies to whippets. Do you discard a dog that is over standard in height but otherwise lovely and use the correct size but not as well constructed dog?

Judging is easy as the hard work is done and all you have to do is find a dog that best resembles the breed standard. Breeding is tough as you're trying to create the standard. :- "

Cheers

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back