The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Finding A Pup

~Helen~

Warrior Queen
Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Someone has suggested this FAQ thread, which seems a good idea.

It would be great if people with experience and knowledge could add to it.

It's been suggested that often a new member comes on and the first thing they do is ask for details of where to get pups from. K9 has a No Advertising policy, so some people who aren't part of the showing or racing world but who would like a whippet or lurcher as a pet might find it hard to make the right connections.

How does a prospective new owner find a reputable breeder?

What are the things to look for in a breeder?

I think contacting a local breed club is a good place to start. Perhaps a list of breed clubs would be good?

contact the kennel club they will give you a list of breeders who have puppies or go on the kennel club website and click on find a puppy you will get all the whippet breeders who have puppies always ask if the pups are registred wormed and reared in the home and always see the mum with the puppies never buy from a puppy farmer

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately the KC list/website of puppies for sale is NO guarentee that they have not been bred by a puppy farmer. The KC merely takes breeders money to register their litters & so in reality any Tom, Dick or Harry can register their litter whether they are a puppy farmer or not.

Whilst a lot of decent reputable breeders advertise their pups on here so do a lot of back street puppy farmers.

My advice would be firstly steer clear of ALL the scummy puppy advertising websites like the one beginning with E, etc. Yes there will be those that disagree BUT this is just MY opinion, if you are a reputable breeder, known within the breed & have produced sound, healthy pups, you shouldn't need to advertise on such places, you should have recommendations, plus folk coming back that have purchased pups in the past & will have also informed Breed Club Secretaries etc.

I think its ok to check places like the KC site & also Champdogs BUT bear in mind this is NO guarentee you have found a quality, healthy bred pup.

My first port of call would be the Breed Club Secretaries to ask if they know of any litters & then to try & gain some information from them.

Whether you want a show pup or just a pet it never hurts to visit a local show & chat to folk, so much information can be amassed here & normally folk will know of any litters available & will be able to give you advice on the lines etc.

Always go & see the pups, ask to see mum & dad if possible. Check the conditions the pups are being kept in. Do the pups/mum look nervous or scared at all? Do the pups/mum all look clean & well fed?

Is the breeder offering you a lifetime of support back up & willing to take the pup back at any point in its life if your circumstances change?

If the Breeder asks no questions, just wants you to come & see the pups & pick one, steer clear!

A good breeder will ask you 101 questions & may want to do a home check or want a recommendation from your vet or someone who knows you.

I would just like to say that 2 of the Whippets I bought from highly reputable breeders didn't fall into this category. One was kept in a stable and the other in a shed at the bottom of the garden. the latter was the biggest Whippet I have ever seen who found it hard to run like Whippets do. His back legs were totally bandy and he didn't walk on his feet properly. His back was extremely curved and walked with his head hung low.His teeth didn't fit into his mouth properly hence they became very yellow because they weren't being coated with saliva.I paid a show price for him, not that I wanted to show him but it's the principal.These breeders are meant to be the top of the top!

I would never be interested in purchasing a pup like this again, I don't think I would even be bothered about papers.

I have just had my first litter. My pups are kept in my kitchen and I play with them daily. I cannot understand why someone would want a litter of puppies and keep them away from the house. What joy is there in that? I am having so much pleasure from mine and know each one individually. That is surely what having litter is all about?

It makes me cringe to think that the pup in the shed was dirty, eating his own poo out of boredom, no toys, no handling. Disgraceful!And so very,very sad!

I think if you are purchasing a puppy you need to build up a relationship with the breeder, be able to go see the pups and Mum in a house and check that all is well.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back