The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Firework Night Advice Wanted

Debbie b

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I have a 4yr old terrier who is absolutely terrierfied of fireworks, she's like a mad thing possessed, just read an article in the countrymans weekly about giving scullcap&valerian tablets, has any one tried them or anything else herbal, i have had tablets from the vet, but i don't like seeing a zombie, plus sometimes they work and other times they don't, any advice would be grate.

Debbie, try DORWEST HERBS....organic valerian compound :thumbsup:

try not to make a big thing of the firworks..........if she see's your anxious about it it might make her worse :unsure:

i just snuggle gypsy up and sit and stroke her, but dont make a fuss of her :thumbsup:

http://www.dorwest.com/products.asp?dept=2...rt_on=&sort_by=

Last edited by a moderator:
She knows there gonna happen before me and then she goe's beserk, she won't just lay there and be calm, tried that. thank you for the reply

Debbie b said:
She knows there gonna happen before me and then she goe's beserk, she won't just lay there and be calm, tried that. thank you for the reply
Hi Debbie, my friend has a Manchester Terrier and he used to go ballistic. She bought a couple of DAP diffusers to plug in and he's 90% better. Hope this helps. Angela

Debbie b said:
I have a 4yr old terrier who is absolutely terrierfied of fireworks, she's like a mad thing possessed, just read an article in the countrymans weekly about giving scullcap&valerian tablets,  has any one tried them or anything else herbal, i have had tablets from the vet, but i don't like seeing a zombie, plus sometimes they work and other times they don't, any advice would be grate.

I get mine from Dorwest Herbs. I start giving them to Beau about a week before and we have no problems. I have used them for years now and the come highly recommended.

I've tried scullcap and valerian and it didn't make a difference. We have now got for this year one of those plug in things. An electric diffuser. DAP Dog Appeasing Pheromone. We'll see how that goes. Its plugged in one month before. :thumbsup:

I have a scruffy mutt who is absolutely terrified of fireworks, to the point where for the last few years I have to sedate her to keep her calm. I hated doing this, and tried everything I could think of:

DAP diffusers made little or no difference

Natural calming tablets wouldn't work

Ignoring her completely worked to a degree but she was still very distressed

Fireworks tapes that get them gradually accoustemed to the noise didn't work

In the end I made a surprising discovery. We have spent the summer camping at various game fairs around the country, and it seems that game fair planners love to put lurcher events next to clay pigeon shoots. I thought this would be the worst thing ever for little Ellie, but it seems that spending days camping (which she loves) next to continual gun shots has made her much more tolerant of loud bangs. Whereas before she would runn away if she heard any loud shot or firework, she now shakes a little but stays calm, and will even occasionally fetch her ball. I can only assume that she now associates a noise which she initially hated (fireworks and shots) with an activity which she really loves (camping) and it has made life a whole lot easier.

I know this will probably not help you for this year, but it may be something to consider for another year, getting your dog to associate a horrible noise with a pleasurable experience.

Thank you for all your replies, as for going to the game fairs i have done that ,but she's like a walking jelly, you would think being bred from working stock, she would be slightley more harder than a quivering wreck, xx

never found anything herbal that worked or DAP cotton wool in the ears and let them get under a duvet about best you can do unless you drug them

Having a small safe 'den' to hide in seems to help some dogs. A crate in a quiet dark place with a couple of duvets over to deaden the noise a bit is worth a try.

FeeFee said:
Having a small safe 'den' to hide in seems to help some dogs. A crate in a quiet dark place with a couple of duvets over to deaden the noise a bit is worth a try.
My Winston is on Scullcap and Valerian from Dorwest Herbs and I have noticed a difference in him. I think they are great, and it's also helped with his travel sickness :D :thumbsup:

We used to use a product called Serene-Um for our Manchester Terrier Holly on firework night. DAP and Valarian just didn't seem to work with her at all. We also used the Serene-Um to help her get over having travel sickness. She was never zombified by it, just relaxed :) . You can get it from most pet shops or online.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back