The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Firework

Susan

Robbie
Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Well we took wee Robbie to the vet this morning for his MOT, he passed :D

The vet said he was in great condition :thumbsup:

He gave us his tablets to calm him on the 5th.

These tablet's dont sedate him, it's a bit like Diazipam (sp) and he wont remember the night before :huggles: . Ive to get a cage in the house and put a cover over it, a small tea of chicken and pasta, a quick pee and then Robbie gets 2 1/2 tablets, then into the cage, the TV up loud and he will sleep the night away.

He can go up to 4 tablets, but Im sure last year the 2 1/2 were enough :blink:

Roll on the end of January (w00t)

that wont work for mine as round here its like fire work month.....not night :rant:

last night at 10pm just took then all out for last pee and poo before bed :b

2 bloody great fire works went off and 6 dogs barking their heads off in the garden, shaking like a leaf :blink: ...

so i open the door to let them all in...and......6 sets of muddy feet ran straight to my bedroom and dived on the bed :eek: :oops:

so this evening maddie...ment to be the "brave one" is shaking like a jelly in Elishas bed under the quilt :lol: :lol:

il have to drag her out for a wee later..(maddie...not elisha) :lol:

Susan said:
Well we took wee Robbie to the vet this morning for his MOT, he passed  :D
The vet said he was in great condition  :thumbsup:

These tablet's dont sedate him, it's a bit like Diazipam (sp) and he wont remember the night before  :huggles: . Ive to get a cage in the house and put a cover over it, a small tea of chicken and pasta, a quick pee and then Robbie gets 2 1/2 tablets, then into the cage, the TV up loud and he will sleep the night away.

He can go up to 4 tablets, but Im sure last year the 2 1/2 were enough  :blink:

Roll on the end of January  (w00t)

Yes i got these for one of my dogs.

Only thing is that fireworks go off 3 weeks before the 5th November and 2 or 3 weeks after and then again on New Years eve.

Yes roll on the end of January 2009

ladyp said:
Susan said:
Well we took wee Robbie to the vet this morning for his MOT, he passed  :D
The vet said he was in great condition  :thumbsup:

These tablet's dont sedate him, it's a bit like Diazipam (sp) and he wont remember the night before  :huggles: . Ive to get a cage in the house and put a cover over it, a small tea of chicken and pasta, a quick pee and then Robbie gets 2 1/2 tablets, then into the cage, the TV up loud and he will sleep the night away.

He can go up to 4 tablets, but Im sure last year the 2 1/2 were enough  :blink:

Roll on the end of January  (w00t)

Yes i got these for one of my dogs.

Only thing is that fireworks go off 3 weeks before the 5th November and 2 or 3 weeks after and then again on New Years eve.

Yes roll on the end of January 2009

They have been going off here on the odd night for about 2 weeks now,,I turn up the tv, ignore Robbie, if it's going on for more than 15mins, we go into the car for a drive. Im scared to take him out at night's as if he did some how escape,,I dont think I would see him again :(

The vet said he's very scared of them and make sure he's in the house after dark and only in the back garden (6 foot fence ).

Gizmo does not care about the noise, he sit's at the window watching them (w00t)

Im glad he's not like his dad Robbie).

:luck: good luck to all owners who have scared dogs over the next few months :huggles:

I used something from my vets for two of mine one year....they had the same dose....Sam the 9lb geriactric Tibetan Spaniel and alfie the then young Colliex weighing in at 40lb...The Tibetan Spaniel was still tearing about howling and having a go at everything that moved,and Alfie couldn't walk till the next day...never tried that again lol

Just be careful about giving him too much - I gave Ellie exactly the dose said by the vet of Vallium a few years ago because she is terrified of fireworks and it made her hyper. Apparently they can do that, so the next year I gave hr 1/2 a tablet at a time until she was dopey and then stopped.

Have tablets all the time for Bumpy dog and having her nails cut, if the adrenaline is already pumping then they won't work. She should have about 3 at the very most, one time we went up to five and she still raced around the house. I slip one in her meal now and she doesn't even notice when she starts to nod off

Kerri only gets them at Bonfire Night/New Year as after having a firework thrown at her as a pup she is terrified (now 7yrs old). We can sometimes get away with wrapping her (head and all) in a blanket and putting her behind the sofa with cushions piled on top of her but on the big nights even that doesn't work and it's not fair to expect her to lay there for fours hours or more.

With having the puppies this year we will make sure the take them out into the garden to wee with the other three who don't give a monkeys about the bangs and lights so they learn not to fuss either.

I hope all goes well for those of you with dog's that

are scared, it must be awful for them and you :(

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back