The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

First season

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Evening all, just looking for yet more advice please... so ruby went to the vet last week for the sickness as it went on over a week. The vet said it could be hormonal (no shit!) And gave her an anti sickness jab and some heartburn tablets at great cost. The tablets they gave her were basically 4 times the dose im on from my drs so rightly or wrongly ive just given her 1 tablet in the evening rather then the 4 daily prescribed which has done the job. However today is day 14 and the bleeding doesnt seem to be subsiding infact today it seemed quite a bit darker and thicker not loads but enough to be making a mess still. Is this normal? Everything ive read online has said bleeding should be stopping now... thanks all for any advice you can give. Im so ready for this to end now!

Evening all, just looking for yet more advice please... so ruby went to the vet last week for the sickness as it went on over a week. The vet said it could be hormonal (no shit!) And gave her an anti sickness jab and some heartburn tablets at great cost. The tablets they gave her were basically 4 times the dose im on from my drs so rightly or wrongly ive just given her 1 tablet in the evening rather then the 4 daily prescribed which has done the job. However today is day 14 and the bleeding doesnt seem to be subsiding infact today it seemed quite a bit darker and thicker not loads but enough to be making a mess still. Is this normal? Everything ive read online has said bleeding should be stopping now... thanks all for any advice you can give. Im so ready for this to end now!

If you don't fancy giving too much meds to your dog..
...ginger (bickies) have tendency to help settle down sickness feelings....and if she is not keen to eat much, sugar in the ginger bickies not only give her some energy but it will help to bring on some appetite.
They worked well when our Iida was pregnant and didn't fancy eating.

As for the bleeding....the first season can be anything but for what the books say. Dog hormones can be all over the place and with some dogs it can take few seasons before they set into more of 'routine' responses.
Some dogs bleeding have more fluctuations as other are more steady...some will bleed less as the time goes by and others will stop all of the sudden. It just is what it is....next time round you girl's season could be totally different again...o_O I always count the season as 3 weeks, the last week/days being almost 'dribble free'. But I don't fully relax keeping eye on the ball with ours until their girly bits have shrunk back to almost normal size...and that can take another week if not 2!

Last edited:
The tablets they gave her were basically 4 times the dose im on from my drs so rightly or wrongly ive just given her 1 tablet in the evening rather then the 4 daily prescribed which has done the job.

I've no idea about the specific drug, and it seems to have worked with you, but it's very important to note that drugs act very differently in different species, and it's not just related to size. One of my cats was on valium for a while, and it was pretty much a human-size dose, but it was the right amount for a cat.

None of the many bitches I've owned for all their lives ever went from red discharge to straw coloured discharge through the season. They were always red all the way through.

If you don't fancy giving too much meds to your dog..
...ginger (bickies) have tendency to help settle down sickness feelings....and if she is not keen to eat much, sugar in the ginger bickies not only give her some energy but it will help to bring on some appetite.
They worked well when our Iida was pregnant and didn't fancy eating.

As for the bleeding....the first season can be anything but for what the books say. Dog hormones can be all over the place and with some dogs it can take few seasons before they set into more of 'routine' responses.
Some dogs bleeding have more fluctuations as other are more steady...some will bleed less as the time goes by and others will stop all of the sudden. It just is what it is....next time round you girl's season could be totally different again...o_O I always count the season as 3 weeks, the last week/days being almost 'dribble free'. But I don't fully relax keeping eye on the ball with ours until their girly bits have shrunk back to almost normal size...and that can take another week if not 2!
Ahh but then i would be forced to eat the rest of the packet

I
None of the many bitches I've owned for all their lives ever went from red discharge to straw coloured discharge through the season. They were always red all the way through.
I think i need to stop googling things and chill out! Thank god though today the bleeding has definitely started to sliw and its just the odd tiny dark dot here and there. Hallelujah perhaps I'll try the bitches britches next time@

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back