The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Fittness

fra

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I am reading a book called Lurchers and Longdogs. It states that its not Galloping that gets a dog fit, its walking on hard roads? 3 Miles a day for the first week, the target for the second week should be 5 - 6 miles a day. This distance should be done in approx. 2 hours. The target for the third week is the same distance as the second but done in 1 1/2 hours.

So is it roadwalking and hand rubbing what gets a dog fit? Is galloping to sharpen the dog up?

Surely this is too much. :sweating:

Short and brief-

I would say all dogs are 'individual'

what works for one doesn't always work for the next

I believe some whippets barely leave their kennel in between races :blink:

Ours are walked daily and have their very own individual routine/s

Karen

you don't see athletes walking :- "

or race horses walking :- "

you can do all the walking in the world but a dog as to be race fit therefore needs running.

JOHNG said:
you don't see athletes walking  :- "

you can do all the walking in the world but a dog as to be race fit therefore needs running.

think the walking is for stamina,also free running :- "

well i walk my dog keeps me fit lol lol

walkings, good for ur dogs keeps them healthy and active,,,and helps them bond with u before race track,,,,

all so gets there pads toughened up for racing,,,,

and like george said very good for stamia

JOHNG said:
you don't see athletes walking  :- "

Maybe not road walking but they have thorough workouts in the gym -which include the treadmill-weights-cycling etc

Race horses too are walked-not lengthy distances but they are walked-certainly at the Jack Berry stables and in the Heysham stables both close to where I live.

Harry/Laura's trampoline coach ran and swam as part of his training for fitness in the job he did.

i walk my dogs all i am saying a dog as to be run as well you can't just walk a dog for 2/3weeks then put it in the trap and race it o:) ;) :

the stables near me only walk the horse's to the gallops then they gallop them. :))

I THINK THE ONLY WAY TO GET YOUR DOG RACE FIT IS BY RUNNING IT .ROAD WALKING IS OK TO KEEP NAILS SHORTER AND IT LOSENS THEM UP.BETTER THAN SITTING ABOUT ALLDAY.

i take mine over the field everyday and free run them for about 30 mins, great when there is another dog cause they just run round and round and round (w00t)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back