The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Flaky Skin!

lpalmer

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hello all,

Just wanted some advice about my dogs skin. He has been having Burns food for nealry a year, and the bag i last bought was chicken (previously lamb/fish. Although he has had chicken before, the last few days his skin has been VERY flaky, i thought something had been spily on his coat at first, then relaised it was skin flakes!

I have heard that Burns can make some dogs skin dry and so bought some salmon Arden grange today to slowly change over.

Has anyone heard anything like this about Burns before? and is Arden Grange a good one, it says that it is good for skin?

I did look on FAQ page, but wondered if anyone had any specific advice about these two brands!

Many thanks!

Laura (and Murphy) :)

i did try burns with a litter of whippet puppies and im sorry to say they didnt enjoy it nor did mum , and i found they lost condition on it so reverted ack to my feeding method and back to fatty puppies and well covered mum

my iggies wouldnt touch it

although i have friends whom show that swear by it? :thumbsup:

my lot usualy get a bit of flaky skin around this time of the year when ther loosing ther winter coat only last a few weeks thou and i usualy make shure they have plent of oily fish :D

Hello, :D heres propa foood, pasta, rice, veggies, fruit, biscuit mixer, meat, bung in an oil capsule, i use linseed,.

:cheers:

lpalmer said:
Hello all,Just wanted some advice about my dogs skin.  He has been having Burns food for nealry a year, and the bag i last bought was chicken (previously lamb/fish.  Although he has had chicken before, the last few days his skin has been VERY flaky, i thought something had been spily on his coat at first, then relaised it was skin flakes!

I have heard that Burns can make some dogs skin dry and so bought some salmon Arden grange today to slowly change over.

Has anyone heard anything like this about Burns before? and is Arden Grange a good one, it says that it is good for skin?

I did look on FAQ page, but wondered if anyone had any specific advice about these two brands!

Many thanks!

Laura (and Murphy)  :)

Hi Laura,

I changed my dogs from Burns over to Arden Grange and they do really well on it, a bit too well actually because Lenny is now on a diet!

Mine also prefer AG and eat it with gusto whereas with Burns they used to pick at it

and would only eat it if I put loads of oil on it.

However, mine don't like the salmon one but absolutely love the lamb one :p Also try adding a tin or sardines in oil a couple of times a week as this can help with their skin.

I tried Burns a few years ago and the dogs lost condition - I wouldn't say it keeps a dog in show condition at all. Their coats became dull and scurfy and I didn't like the smell of it.

I now use James Wellbeloved and can't rate it highly enough.

p.s. The dogs are going through a moult just now (Spring) which always loosens dry skin.. but it shouldn't be noticeable big flakes. I'm giving them all a thorough brushing every 3-4 days just now and Phoenix in particular is shedding big clouds of hair :lol: (he always was a fluffy :p )

Last edited by a moderator:
Thankyou all very much for your replies, i think i have done the right thing changing him over, and the sardines in oil added as a treat sounds like a good plan!

I love this site, there always seems to be someone out there who can help and/or has similar experiences!

Cheers from me and Murph! :cheers:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back