The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Flea Drops

nicky12

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
just put some flea drops on blue and ollie and they were going nuts after i done it running up and down stairs running in circles barking, rolling,ollie was actualy jumping from chair to settee then onto the window generally on one big time was so funny watching them :lol: :lol: anybody else dogs react like this when ya put flea drops on them :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I think i'd be seriously worried to see dogs reacting like that after putting a concoction of chemicals onto them (w00t)

alfyn said:
I think i'd be seriously worried to see dogs reacting like that after putting a concoction of chemicals onto them (w00t)
they sumtimes react like that when they come in from the rain and ther wet :lol: think ther just mad i also think one sets the other off :lol:

They probably just do not like the smell. But why are you putting flea drops on them now? Isn't it too cold for fleas over your way? The dogs cannot pick up fleas outside in winter, so any fleas they have would have to hatch in dust in warm house. If I find a flea on my dog in the winter I clean up all the dusty places in the house, like skirting boards behind furniture where fleas could breed. Also wash their bedding. Flea drops are the last resort, I prefer to get rid of the fleas before they get on the dog. :)

One of my cats reacted to "Frontline" spot on drops. He started to salivate excessively for about 5 mins & then was o.k.

Apparently it's a reaction to the alcohol base the stuff is in.

I tend not to treat my dogs for fleas unless as a last resort. I give them garlic tablets regularly which seems to keep the little :rant: away. On the very odd occasion I find a flea on any of the animals I just squish it :x

I comb the cats through every week & havn't found any fleas at all this year :D

I don't like using too many chemicals but if one of them had a lot of fleas then yes I'd use something. But I think just keeping a regular check is better than overdosing with "cures"

The weather is still very mild here and I have had a real problem with fleas in the past month! I have just Front-Lined both of mine, and they are still bringing them in from outside (though they aren't surviving for long). As for rubbing, Archie is a terror for that if he is wet :)

Joanna said:
The weather is still very mild here and I have had a real problem with fleas in the past month! I have just Front-Lined both of mine, and they are still bringing them in from outside (though they aren't surviving for long). As for rubbing, Archie is a terror for that if he is wet :)
I wasnt having a problem lately until the dogs found a mixie rabbit the other day and even though they had just been Frontlined too - I was literally picking them off Oscars face. Its a worry too if they bring them into the house as I have cats too. (w00t)

So they all get Frontlined here every 3 months including the cats. Ive hardly seen anyfleas this year at all until the 'rabbit catching'. I also give mine garlic tablets.

Seraphina said:
They probably just do not like the smell.  But why are you putting flea drops on them now?  Isn't it too cold for fleas over your way?  The dogs cannot pick up fleas outside in winter, so any fleas they have would have to hatch in dust in warm house.  If I find a flea on my dog in the winter I clean up all the dusty places in the house, like skirting boards behind furniture where fleas could breed.  Also wash their bedding.  Flea drops are the last resort, I prefer to get rid of the fleas before they get on the dog. :)

I'd normally agree with you. I usually Frontline in the Spring and once again in the summer (mainly because we get a lot of ticks round here :x ). Otherwise I just keep an eye on them, but I've never had a flea problem until this autumn - I've had to re-treat all the dogs and spray the house. I've heard a few other people say the same thing this year, I guess it is the exceptionally mild weather.

The weather is really weird, we are having frosts which normally finish by end of August/early September! (w00t)

Seraphina said:
They probably just do not like the smell.  But why are you putting flea drops on them now?  Isn't it too cold for fleas over your way?  The dogs cannot pick up fleas outside in winter, so any fleas they have would have to hatch in dust in warm house.  If I find a flea on my dog in the winter I clean up all the dusty places in the house, like skirting boards behind furniture where fleas could breed.  Also wash their bedding.  Flea drops are the last resort, I prefer to get rid of the fleas before they get on the dog. :)
the reason iv flead them now is because when we got ollie our last whippy he had very bad infestion of fleas and passed them on to blue who i hardly had to do until ollie came so thought it best just to make shure :thumbsup: i usually just give garlic tabs in winter but they definatley still have a few so thats why i done them again .i also wash ther bedding every week and give the carpet a quick spray to make shure those pesky little critter dont have a chance .its also still quite mild here not your typical october :thumbsup:

I found a flea on Boris ysterday the first in 2 years so everything been bolied washed steam clean to death and as non of them have been treeted in the last 6 months they all got frontlined with 9 dogs the thought of fleas getting hold would be a nightmare. usualy though teatree, garlice tablets and the steam cleaner keep them well away. I boil the buggers with the steamer on anything that wont go in the washer and all nookes and cranys best thing we ever got. I only ues chemical if I actualy know they have fleas not just for prevention

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back