The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Flea treatment

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Brewers dried yeast ...it has certainly worked for my dogs ...especially Tillywho is a tick magnet :D

Interesting - here's an extract from an article on the PetMD website:

Does brewer’s yeast repel fleas and ticks?

The short answer is yes. The longer answer is that there is not much scientific information available more recent than USDA pamphlets from the 1950s. Recent studies have combined brewer’s yeast with garlic or oils with mixed results. The amount of garlic in commercially available formulas is safe for pets. It seems as though brewer’s yeast is the important ingredient, but the formulation is vital to its success at repelling fleas and ticks. Scientists have tried to determine which part of brewer’s yeast gives it this repellent property. None of the vitamins or minerals in brewer’s yeast repel ticks and fleas on their own, so it may be multiple components working together.

Recently, dog treats containing brewer’s yeast with and without garlic were tested, and there was no difference in the effectiveness of the treat. The treat hit a snag coming to market because of side effects in the large dogs in the study. Brewer’s yeast mixed with omega-3 oils may have a stronger repellent effect.

It will likely take a few days before you see any flea repellent effect from brewer’s yeast, and not all dogs will have this benefit. Therefore, it is best given in addition to a topical or chewable product that kills fleas so your dog is protected in two ways.

Brewer’s Yeast for Dogs: Understanding the Benefits and Risks | petMD

Mixed in food ..i have never had a problem with fleas but its definitely worked for the ticks

I use natural resources now and considering Tilly was pcking up ticks daily ...I've hardly had any

@Kara 1, this is interesting to read. I was wanting to try out an alternative tick treatment this year as I also own a tick magnet. So far, I hadn’t had any positive responses from those who had tried them, but no one has mentioned using Brewer’s yeast. I have just had a look on the internet and there are several different brands. May I ask which one you use? Thanks.

A lot of people here have been going crazy about EM ceramic bead collars that are supposed to keep ticks at bay.

I suppose there are lots of things that will work on one dog and not on another just as medicines do with peopleand it seems pests are more attracted to one dog than another.
I used to have 3 dogs Oscar a border collie, Benny a beagle and Remy a JRT mix thingy..
I used the same tick and flea repellant on all three as prescribed by the vet. Benny and Remy never got any ticks or fleas even later when I stopped using the stuff.. But Oscar only had to put his nose near a blade of grass and he had ticks. In the summer months after every walk I would have to go through him inch by inch looking for the ticks and 9 times out of 10 Id find them. He picked up fleas several times as well but Benny and Remy never got them..

I wonder if its the same as with us and mosquitos I lay in bed and get eaten alive OH lays right next to me and never gets a single bite..

I wonder if its the same as with us and mosquitos I lay in bed and get eaten alive OH lays right next to me and never gets a single bite..

I heard that some people get bitten but don't have the reaction - that might be a reason for the difference between you and OH too.

I'm interested too :) Though ticks usually attach themselves to Jasper's boy bits and I don't relish the prospect of removing them if it doesn't work for him... I usually end up lying underneath him like a car mechanic while OH feeds him sausage, and have to remind myself to keep my mouth closed....

I'm interested too :) Though ticks usually attach themselves to Jasper's boy bits and I don't relish the prospect of removing them if it doesn't work for him... I usually end up lying underneath him like a car mechanic while OH feeds him sausage, and have to remind myself to keep my mouth closed....
:emoji_astonished:

Let us know how it goes ;)

Hi @Kara 1,

Ok, not a scientific trial I know, but we have been using the Brewer’s yeast tablets for a month now and so far, so good! I know the ticks are out and about because I had to remove several of the wretched things from my dog a few weeks before we started the tablets. Obviously, this could be pure coincidence, and I won’t be throwing the tick remover away just yet, but I’m interested to see how long he remains tick free.

@ Kara 1, apologies...I forgot to say thank you for recommending them:)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back