The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Food refusal

Grack

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
We have two beautiful, wonderful, well adjusted 16 wk old whippets sisters. Until now it has been plain sailing other than the exhaustion we have suffered due to total lifestyle change. They are very good pups in every way, we have never had a sleep issue and their toilet training has certainly paid off.

I weaned them over to raw within a week of their arrival at 8 weeks. The breeder fed the parents raw but not the pups as she felt some people might prefer kibble. The slightly smaller one has always been less food driven but used to seem to enjoy her food. They have been eating Nutriment Beef for puppies. Never have either of them been sick or had diarrhoea. Their faeces have been perfect in every way.

Sassi has always been a Diva and even though she’s the smaller one we suspect she’s the Alpha in their pack. We have always feed them separately, one in boot room and other in pantry, but now Sassi doesn’t even want to go in to check what food there might be. We have offered various raw diets, Orni will eat anything and Sassi might eat it once if she hasn’t been offered it recently. Hand feeding is definitely what she can be enticed with but not for a great quantity. I am wondering if she will eat naturally if we just stop pandering to her. She will always eat a raw egg.

We are aware that her health will need checking by a vet and this we will do probably tomorrow. In every other way she seems happy, fit and balanced with great enter levels which are equal to Orni’s. They are wonderful!

Any helpful suggestions, explanation or experiences will be gratefully appreciated!

There are two schools of thought on feeding - the tough love approach based on the belief that a healthy dog won't starve herself and will eat when hungry; and then people who will search to find a food their dog enjoys. Personally I'd rather my dog enjoyed his food rather than just eat to survive.

While raw is great, some dogs prefer it flash fried (but not the bone). Or, you could try a good quality kibble, raw doesn't suit every dog.

Have a look at www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk

It is an independent review site for all types of food - raw, dry and wet. It has its limitations but it's a good place to start.

Do you think it might be the room rather than the food? I know of a lurcher that was completely freaked out by their utility room which is where they wanted to feed him, because he couldn't cope with the noise and vibration of the washing machine and dryer.

Thanks, Hemlock. Whether she likes the room or not is probably to the issue. The door is left open and there is no electrical equipment in it as it is just a pantry. I can promise you that we’ve given her every choice of eating locations including the same one as the other dog Orni. Sometimes she will venture into Orni’s room after Orni has finished and may/may not eat any leftovers if on the rare occasion there happens to be some.

I really appreciate your thoughts and the time it has taken for your reply. We are true dog lovers and have owned dogs for over six decades very happily and successfully but Sassi just has us at a bit of a loss currently so all thoughts are very welcome!! We just hope it’s not a health issue as I did, many years ago, have an absolutely amazing little Jack Russell that started of showing eat problems and it turned out to be a liver problem which only allowed her four years life. I treasured her dear and learned so much from her in so many ways.

You don't need to be feeding puppy food all of my dogs have gone straight onto adult raw at 8 weeks old:)
Perhaps she would prefer something chunkier.also they are not having a balanced diet if you are only feeding beef for a balanced diet you should be feeding at least 5 different proteins plus raw fish and eggs:)

There are two schools of thought on feeding - the tough love approach based on the belief that a healthy dog won't starve herself and will eat when hungry; and then people who will search to find a food their dog enjoys. Personally I'd rather my dog enjoyed his food rather than just eat to survive.

While raw is great, some dogs prefer it flash fried (but not the bone). Or, you could try a good quality kibble, raw doesn't suit every dog.

Have a look at www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk

It is an independent review site for all types of food - raw, dry and wet. It has its limitations but it's a good place to start.

Thanks to all of you who responded! I have carefully read, considered and tried out various the suggestions if they were suitable/applicable and thankful that we seem to have resolved the situation (for the time being!). Sassi definitely has her own mind even at 17 wks but now she is seeming to enjoy her food and eat very well. Currently, she is on a wide ranging and alternating menu. I really appreciated the link from Joanne and have just ordered a small bag of Wolfworthy as it seemed it would fit into her diet.
This is such a great site and I recognise that there are some very informed and experienced contributors here. It is such a comfort to have them all “to hand” as we have never had whippets before. I would say that we’ve adored and loved all our dogs over the years and there have been some fabulous ones but even in the 2.5 months we’ve had Sassi and Orni, my husband and I agree that there is something very, very special about these two and we suspect the breed. We have never had nor met sweeter, kinder dogs but they have a fun and joyous nature, too.

thanks to all!

Last edited:
Thank you for your lovely comments about the forum, @Grack :)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back