The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Fundraising On 18th June, In Aid Of Lurcher Link

NEELIX

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
[SIZE=25pt]Fundraising on 18th June, in aid of Lurcher Link[/SIZE]

I'm running a Disc-Dog training seminar (well that's what they call them around Europe and in the states) completely free of charge, however you have to pay LL £10 (through me) for the privelige of attending. (two dogs one handler £15)

ch-big-air1.jpg

All dogs entering will be able to leave with at least one free disc (frisbee) providing they haven't chewed it! As well as a toy and some food!

[SIZE=25pt]Time[/SIZE]

[SIZE=19pt]9.30 to 9.45[/SIZE] [SIZE=19pt]arrival and introduce yourselves.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=19pt]9.50 to 10.00[/SIZE][SIZE=19pt]Demo by Neelix, Millie, Tuvok & Chakoytay too.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=19pt]10.05 to 11.50[/SIZE][SIZE=19pt]I'll tell you all how we went about teaching our dogs & let you all try some of the ideas with your dogs,in turn.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=19pt]11.55 to 12.35[/SIZE] [SIZE=19pt]Lunch,bring you own sarnies or go to the local.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=19pt]12.40 to 14.25[/SIZE][SIZE=19pt] Start the afternoon sessions. More one on one training to see what you've learned! [/SIZE]

[SIZE=19pt]14.30 to 14.40[/SIZE][SIZE=19pt]Competitors briefing on how the competion is going to work and what order you'll be running in.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=19pt]14.45 to 14.55[/SIZE][SIZE=19pt]Tea break[/SIZE]

[SIZE=19pt]15.00 to 16.30[/SIZE][SIZE=19pt]competition[/SIZE]

[SIZE=19pt]16.35 to 16.45[/SIZE] [SIZE=19pt]Prizes handed out[/SIZE]

[SIZE=19pt](I need to know who’s coming and Payment ASAP, this will ensure a place)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=25pt]RULES[/SIZE]

1) Catch and Retrieve with all four paws off the ground, 10 points

2) Catch and Retrieve without having four paws off the ground, 7 points

3) Catching the Frisbee but dropping it on return, 5 points

4) Basic Retrieve (disc touches ground before the dog gets it, 3 points)

5) Minimum distance you must throw the disc, 20 feet, with points being doubled for a throw over 40 feet, and tripled over 60 feet.

6) If the disc touches the ground but is still in the dog’s mouth, it isn't counted as being dropped as this could quite easily happen with smaller dogs which haven't the height to hold it off the floor.

7) Two practice throws are allowed, either with or without dog, before time starts.

8 ) Thrower and dog are to stay behind a throwing line until the disc has been released from the throwers hand, however they may approach the dog to retrieve the disc, but must retreat behind the throwing line for the next throw.

9) Distances to be marked from where the disc is caught, or where it lands if it is not caught, if it is caught in the air, then it is where the dog lands.

10) Only one disc maybe used per round, choice of disc to be left to the competitor, however any disc that may cause damage to the dog must not be used.

11) A two minute time limit to be used.

12) If there's enough time*, each handler will get at least two rounds

13) If the time limit is up, just after the disc has left the hand of the thrower, the dog will be allowed 30 seconds to retrieve it, and this throw will count.

14) Aggressive canine behavior will not be allowed.

15) Dogs in any stage of heat will not be allowed.

16) Owners must pick up after their dogs. (& that doesn't mean the disc!)

17) Abusive treatment of any of the dogs will certainly not be allowed.

* I'm going to try and get done for around 5pm

These are the basic rules I normally use, pretty much based on the American rules, however with these you still get points they don't catch the disc.

Please Don't think "my dog can't do that" for two reasons

1) If Chakotay can do it pretty much any dog can (top picture)

2) So what if your dog can't, it's only a bit of fun to raise cash for a good cause.

So, do we have any interest??

Milliefetchingfrisbeealt.jpg

NeelixnearlyJumpingforTossTugalt.jpg

NeelixJumpingforblueFrisbeealt.jpg

www.disc-dogs-uk.com

ALL THESE TIMES WILL HAVE TO BE STUCK TO IF WE GET 30 OR MORE DOGS

(I personally think we'll be lucky to get 25 so should be done earlier)

We have sponsorship for this event from:

Pauls Problem Pooches; Nutrience; Chudleys; Burns; Pascoes; Wagg; Gilpa; SupaDog; and Kingstand Lodge Kennels.

Wow!!!! That first pic is great!!! (w00t)

My Hebe isn't into frisbees, she never seemed to get the hang of them at all, she will chase but wont catch & as soon as it stops moving she loses interest :- "

Good Luck, hope you raise a lot of money for a good cause :luck:

J.T. said:
Wow!!!! That first pic is great!!! (w00t) My Hebe isn't into frisbees, she never seemed to get the hang of them at all, she will chase but wont catch & as soon as it stops moving she loses interest :- "

Good Luck, hope you raise a lot of money for a good cause :luck:

It's amazing how many people I've had that say there dog won't do it. THATS why all morning is training ;) Hopefully none of the dogs coming can do it otherwise that would be defeting the object.

Anyway thanks for the "good Look" I'm sure we'll need it (w00t)

Paul

There's still places left if anyone is interested?

Paul

Good luck with the fundrasing hope you have a good turn out. its not something i would let my lot do though looks to risky for a sighthound

Too risky! It's reasonably controlled, we always check the area to be used before hand to make sure it is quite flat with no hidden holes or rocks/stones or other foreign bodies. They are more at risk being let off for a run on a walk, where they just run around and not knowing what holes or other dangers there maybe along the path. Often if I go walking, especially in a wood, one of the dogs will come back with a slight limp or something where he's mistimed a jump over a fallen tree or something. I've never come back from frisbee practice with an injury. On a similar note I was throwing a ball for them a couple of weeks ago and Tuvok landed awkward, he ran the limp off in minutes but it could have been worse, but like I say, never an injury with Frisbee. I'm not saying there isn't any danger involved but there's times when the excersize the dog gets is more useful than the slight chance of injury, I'm not one who thinks his dogs should be wrapped in cotton wool and lifted in and out the car and over styles etc.

Paul

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back