The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Gabapentin

Mennamay

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi, Has anyone used these tablets prescribed by vet many thanks in advance

My vet prescribed gabapentin for my dog's dementia. He first had it at bedtime to stop him pacing, barking, etc. in the night, and it worked really well. As his anxiety became worse during the day as well, he had three doses a day and it worked well for some weeks - dementia being progressive, and he did eventually have to be put down because of his dementia-related anxiety, but it gave him more quality of life for longer.

The only negative side effect was that it affected his coordination, which wasn't great as his muscle wastage meant he was already a bit wobbly on his back legs. He was OK as long as I dosed him in the morning, and then again after his afternoon walk - gabapentin does clear from the system in a few hours.

I did wonder if it increased his appetitle, but can't be sure as he was always a foodie and whining for his meals might have been another side-effect of his dementia.

Not sure if this is relevant for your situation, but I hope it helps.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back