The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Garden (Toxic?) plants - Advice Please!

Are spring bulbs a no go for dog-friendly garden?

• No-go!

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Plant away!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Sheeny

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi all!

New to the forum (and newish to having a dog!). I was wondering if anyone has experience with having a dog and having a garden with spring bulbs? Dying to plant up snowdrops and the sort on our hill but everything says they're highly toxic to dogs? I understand this, but what really is the likelihood of a dog eating a quantity of snowdrops enough to seriously harm? Or is it just not worth the risk?

I know autumn crocuses are a no go, but does anyone know about other bulbs & dogs?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231030-154852.png
    Screenshot_20231030-154852.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 39
Welcome to the forum. My feeling is that most gardens have spring bulbs, and most dogs have access to gardens with spring bulbs, or bluebell woods (also poisonous) - and it's only on very rare occasions that the dogs eat enough to harm themselves. You know your dog and whether they have a habit of nibbling on plants or digging in borders and eating what they find - if not, I think I'd plant the snowdrops in a small area and observe your dog when he's there. If he's not interested, I'd be tempted to decide it's safe.

Bear in mind I'm not an expert, and it'd be interesting to know how often vets see dogs poisioned from eating flower bulbs. And, of course, some people are more risk averse than others.

Good luck with the snowdrops if you do decide to plant them. I love spring bulbs but they really don't like my dry sandy soil.

If you have a puppy exploring the world with its mouth, or a very diggy dog, best not to plant this time, or as already said, only behind a barrier, but we've had spring bulbs and umpteen dogs without any of them showing the slightest interest.

Hi
It depends on the dog and age. My spaniel pup would NOT leave snowdrops alone . Or crocosmia. bulbs. He smelled them out and dug them up. I had to move a whole load and be vigilant as they were popping up everywhere. To be safe, I no longer have daffodils or tulips as I cannot restrict his access. Now 2 years old he is less of a challenge in the garden.
My friends rescue adult dog shows no interest in a range of dangerous bulbs in her garden.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back