The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Getting Dog Fit

rew

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
i have a lurcher a was wondering if anyone uses tred mills to keep there dogs fit when they cant get out to walk them.also can some give the names of parts i will need to make a greyhound lure with step by step quidance.also how much am i looking to pay for a greyhound lure brand new and has anyone got one for sale.

goodhunting

rew

hiya look on k9 world there is a lure on there for £199.

i always find the best way to get a dog fit is to walk him myself.. also i do quite a bit of road walking to harden his paws up..

the added bonus of this is that im getting fit with the dog :p

FORGET TREADMILLS...ALL YOULL GET IS A CANINE MIKE TYSON THAT CANT RUN TO SAVE ITSELF ! :eek: YOULL DRIVE THE DOG MENTAL. YOUR DOG WILL BE GREAT AT RACING ON TREADMILLS.. :D THATS ALL......A MIXTURE OF ROAD WORK AND SPRINTS IS WHAT YOU NEED. DIFFERENT MUSCLE GROUPS NEED WORKED IN VARIOUS WAYS. SOME OF THE WISER RACERS WILL NO DOUBT POST YOU BETTER ADVICE.

DEFINITELY GET A LURE AND SOMEONE TO HELP YOU. :thumbsup:

GOOD LUCK J :)) HN

Last edited by a moderator:
i will not be getting a tredmill and was thinking the same it will send her mad.i do a little road walking and when there two dogs it will be easier i think to keep them fit.

billyboy have you got any pics of the lures you make

rew

Well folks I've used various treadmills for many years, free running slatmills, adjustable dragmills with a rubber belt, and electric mills. I can tell you I've neither heard of nor seen any dog "sent mad" by such devices. Of course free running, especially after live quarry, is the best and most natural form of excercise. But when you work long hours, or when the weather is against you, the mill is just another tool that can be of use to help in conditioning, either running dogs or hard pulling bully types.

Just because you use a mill doesn't mean you don't still take the dogs over the fields for a gallop, but if there are two or three days of torrential rain, or you catch flu, or get a week of hard frost, the dogs can still be worked.

It's not an "either, or" situation.

It's an extra option.

In whippet news back in one of the summer editions there was some for sale for £45 electric.If you want the number pm

boom said:
i always find the best way to get a dog fit is to walk him myself.. also i do quite a bit of road walking to harden his paws up..
the added bonus of this is that im getting fit with the dog  :p

Spot on :thumbsup:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back