The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Giardia symptoms

Kessifer

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
My rescue spaniel has been diagnosed with Giardia. How common is this. I hadn't heard of it before this diagnosis. He us on antibiotics for 20 days as a start. Does anyone know if it is common

Very common and easily fixed with meds from your vet.

Very common and easily fixed with meds from your vet.
Thankyou for your reply. It should have said 10 days antibiotics ple 5 days panacur. Three days left of antibiotics and still passing blood. Not as much but still there. If this doesn't cure that they said they will do blood tests. She was not in a kennel rescue just not wanted because he was reactive to other resident dog. Both at the time not neutered. He has since been neutered. Ruined his coat though. Like a mass of thick Teddy bear fir.. We are his third home.

I keep saying she. Dudley is a boy. Having previously owned females I keep getting it wrong. He is so soft and gentle he is definately in touch with his feminine side

You should tell the people you rehomed him from - in case their dog is infected too.

You should tell the people you rehomed him from - in case their dog is infected too.
I will do although they said he had all clear blood tests when he left them. I dont know how long it takes to show but assumed because of blood tests he picked this up after he left them. I will let them know though. We have had him since September.

Oh sorry, for some reason I thought you had just got him. Duh! Ignore me.

Oh sorry, for some reason I thought you had just got him. Duh! Ignore me.
Tablets now finished yesterday. I don't know how quickly they work but he still has signs of blood in faeces. I don't think this is going to be his only problem. Vet said wait a few weeks and see what happens. He is very well settled. They considered Colitis as he was stressed when we got him but we will have to wait and see.

Have you considered a probiotic? They can help the digestion get back to normal after stress/illness/antibiotics. I wouldn't suggest giving one without your vet's agreement though.

Have you considered a probiotic? They can help the digestion get back to normal after stress/illness/antibiotics. I wouldn't suggest giving one without your vet's agreement though.
I have decided to contact vet and see what they say. On Invoice it says re test in three months but no way will I wait that long. When I first went to vet they gave him panacur and pro biotic. I read that even after worming some worms or whatever can lie dormant for a month and start again. He is so healthy in appearance other than this in fact he is a boisterous little blighter. Watching Rugby and ref just whistled and Dud came straight to me. Perhaps his recall is getting better. No because on the second whistle he went in his crate his safe place. Rugby now switched off and Dud is sat on my lap.. His recall is two short whistles so as he is used to that I don't know why he reacted to TV.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back