The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Got told off - walking rights?!

BrunoDorchy

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Good morning everyone!

This is my first ever post, as I have just started walking my first ever dog (Bruno).

Today I had a very angry chap approach me and tell me that I wasn't allowed to walk my dog around the flats at the end of my road - after a slightly painful conversation, I realised I had no idea where I was allowed to and where I was not, was I right, was he right, I did not know.

After walking off I decided to google it and again could not find anything that related to my case.

Bruno was walking on a leash around a grass area containing communal bins (owned by the local Council, but the flats are privately managed) - this is where I was approached.

Am I allowed to walk my dog around the flats at the below link? or is this a caase of some areas yes, some areas no? (https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Fourgates+Rd,+Dorchester+DT1+2NL/@50.7125815,-2.4527379,108m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x487259c11de5fd61:0x7dd0f3b6054613ee!8m2!3d50.7124685!4d-2.4527104)

Thanks in advance

Jake

Put simply, as far as I know unless specifically banned under a local authority order dogs are allowed in all public places.

Hard to say, because:

• If the flats are privately managed, there may be something in the management agreement regarding the exercising of dogs.
  • If the area is not a public place, you have no right to be there and/or exercise your dog.
  • The local authority may have areas where they ban the exercising of dogs.

As has been mentioned, usually there is signage, but you may find that signs may not be near the actual location. In a previous life I did some voluntary rights-of-way work and as a general rule of thumb (in England and Wales at least), a prohibition notice has to be present and visible to prohibit an activity or right-of-way. There are some exceptions, of course. I would do the following:

• Ask your local authority to confirm if you can exercise your dog in the location concerned. If it is land they control - whether or not they manage it - they will give you the definitive answer (also, you can inspect their "list of streets maintainable at public expense" and if it's on that, you can use it unless there's an order specifically banning dogs).
  • Ask your local authority to confirm if an order has been issued banning the exercising of dogs in the area. Hopefully there isn't.
  • I'd also contact the management company and ask them too. Indeed, the local authority may also refer you to them.
Once you've done all this - and assuming the responses are in your favour - if you feel confident, when you're confronted again, tell this person who you've spoken to, what the responses are, and he now needs to show evidence that you can't walk your dog in the area. Although I've never tried, if you have a friendly neighbourhood Dog Warden, you cold also try and bring him/her along to help resolve the issue too.

Sometimes you find that some people will not accept the views of others, despite overwhelming evidence and in this case I'm afraid a cricket bat to the face is probably the only answer (w00t) Seriously, I hope that helps, please let us know what you decide to do and how you get on.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back