The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Greyhound and Small Dogs

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
In my humble experience, I have worked with 3 ex racers and they were all fine off lead and with other dogs of all shapes and sizes, 2 have passed on now and I wasn't aware of any problems with them..(though I wouldn't of boarded them because of my ferrets!) I have no experience of ex coursing greyhounds, but if I was taking one on I think I would be prepared (just incase) to have them muzzled and on lead for their retirement, unless of course able to be run in a secure field maybe...
(I also have to add I really like this forum because even if people disagree, it is a respectful disagreement as @Rinkydinkydo said)

@lurcherman I also have to agree because one of the ex racers had a cat that lived next door, it used to walk around his garden wall everso slightly teasing him thinking he was out of reach...but one day said greyhound had had enough and lept up and grabbed the cat! Amazingly the cat survived but lost a back leg, and also amazingly the owners were very understanding as they had been made aware of what the cat was doing prior to the'accident!'

Thanks to everyone for all the replies!!! Much appreciated.

Firstly, we are definitely keeping the dog. He is an angel in every other way and is perfect for our lifestyle. although it is an inconvenience to have him not get along with my parents dog, it is not a deal-braker.

We have narrowed his problem with other dogs down to him disliking small, excitable dogs, as we have seen him being fine (Albeit a bit too hyper) with large dogs and calmer small dogs.

I have been working on distracting him from all other dogs while on walks by focusing his attention elsewhere and this has already been a huge success even after just a few days.

In due course (remember he has only been with us a few weeks), we will try some parallel walks with him and my parents dog, once my parents dog has Calmed down after initially seeing us (she runs around and barks like crazy for about 5 minutes each time we visit! She really is a crazy little breed all of her own ) we will keep the greyhound in the car until my parents dog has calmed and will then try some parallel walks. His muzzle will always be on of course.

It’s good for us to remember that he is ex courser, not ex racer, we knew this but it is good for us to be reminded of it, so thanks for the posts on that. I do believe it does contribute to his behaviour. He only stopped coursing in November and only turned 3 in May (was in foster in between) so I’m hoping time - as well as our general efforts at parallel walks and promoting distractions when encountering other dogs - may be of benefit to him as well.

Also just to clarify - my parents live 30 minutes away and we see them once every 1-2 weeks, my parents dog is not living in our home nor does she have to visit regularly.

Brilliant to hear you are doing all the right things....

Thanks to everyone for all the replies!!! Much appreciated.

Firstly, we are definitely keeping the dog. He is an angel in every other way and is perfect for our lifestyle. although it is an inconvenience to have him not get along with my parents dog, it is not a deal-braker.

We have narrowed his problem with other dogs down to him disliking small, excitable dogs, as we have seen him being fine (Albeit a bit too hyper) with large dogs and calmer small dogs.

I have been working on distracting him from all other dogs while on walks by focusing his attention elsewhere and this has already been a huge success even after just a few days.

In due course (remember he has only been with us a few weeks), we will try some parallel walks with him and my parents dog, once my parents dog has Calmed down after initially seeing us (she runs around and barks like crazy for about 5 minutes each time we visit! She really is a crazy little breed all of her own ) we will keep the greyhound in the car until my parents dog has calmed and will then try some parallel walks. His muzzle will always be on of course.

It’s good for us to remember that he is ex courser, not ex racer, we knew this but it is good for us to be reminded of it, so thanks for the posts on that. I do believe it does contribute to his behaviour. He only stopped coursing in November and only turned 3 in May (was in foster in between) so I’m hoping time - as well as our general efforts at parallel walks and promoting distractions when encountering other dogs - may be of benefit to him as well.

I hope you have many happy years with your grey. I'm pleased to hear that it's getting better with other small dogs. They are an adorable breed of dogs and very loyal and loving. I've had one of mine from 8wks and his litter brother from 16 months they will be 4 next week. I adore greyhounds and find them great companions.As your boy gets older and more settled perhaps he may not need to be muzzled. Good luck wit his training. He lucky to have you to love

All we want is a happy dog, does anybody trust there dog 100%, anyway keep us updated on the progress , but I will state not all coursing dogs are bad dogs, but hey you get what you get and it is the owners who have to read and deal with it

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back