The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Greyhound Question

xEmiliex

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I'm moving house soon and im considering getting a greyhound i already have a 2yr old whippet and a 8yr old cross whippet my question is where do i get one? i cant find greyhound pups anywhere i have been looking around they seem just bred for racing and not pets? i cant have a ex racer or i would i have a cat and cant risk it any idea?

xEmiliex said:
I'm moving house soon and im considering getting a greyhound i already have a 2yr old whippet and a 8yr old cross whippet my question is where do i get one? i cant find greyhound pups anywhere i have been looking around they seem just bred for racing and not pets? i cant have a ex racer or i would i have a cat and cant risk it any idea?

Unless you go for a show-type greyhound rather than a racing-type greyhound they aren't normally bred as pets. Greyhound puppies do come into rescue reasonably often though, usually unwanted racing stock, but you'd probably have to wait a while.

If you would consider an older dog there are cat-friendly greyhounds around. You could look at a rescue like Greyhound Gap http://www.greyhoundgap.org.uk/ as all their dogs are kept in foster homes, some of them with cats, so they are very well assessed to see if they are cat-safe. They also get pups and youngsters in from time to time.

Good luck with your search!

If you go on the greyhound data site some one on there is after pet homes for a litter of greyhound pups I think they are about 18 weeks old. If you go on the forum then the adoption part they are on there

[SIZE=21pt]where do you live, most greyhound breeders( racing) will sell a pup to you to be a pet,[/SIZE]

Debbie b said:
[SIZE=21pt]where do you live, most greyhound breeders( racing) will sell a pup to you to be a pet,[/SIZE]
I'm in portsmouth i cant offer a home until we move as i dont think it will be fair on the dog to come to a new home then get unsettled in the hassle of moving i will keep looking around as id like a bitch but age isnt realy a problem a ex racer might be fine if cat friendly my mum does have guneia pigs tho she will be living next door i would like to look into racing a greyhound as a hobbie as i do live near a race track but to be honest i wouldnt know where to start i go down the dogs sometimes and ive fallen in love with greyhounds i love whippets to

xEmiliex said:
Debbie b said:
I'm in portsmouth i cant offer a home until we move as i dont think it will be fair on the dog to come to a new home then get unsettled in the hassle of moving i will keep looking around as id like a bitch but age isnt realy a problem a ex racer might be fine if cat friendly my mum does have guneia pigs tho she will be living next door i would like to look into racing a greyhound as a hobbie as i do live near a race track but to be honest i wouldnt know where to start i go down the dogs sometimes and ive fallen in love with greyhounds i love whippets to

portsmouth is a very nice track, i have had racing greyhounds and they are a pleasure to watch, then brought them home, they are a breed that can easily adapt to living with cats indoors but outside they see them as fair game, get a few numbers of the trainers at portsmouth they will be on the race card, go to there kennels see which one you like eg are they good with their dogs, how do the dogs react with them and when you have chosen a trainer he or she will be able to be advise you or even get you a dog, can be quite expensive esspecially if you have a bitch as they have time off for seasonal rests and you still have to pay the kennel bill good luck if you would like a puupy, i have a trainer friend in canterbury who also breeds and he doesn't mind his pups going as pets as long as they are looked after

Last edited by a moderator:
We have 2 cat friendly hounds - both ex racers - check your local RGT out on the net and you will be suprised at how many cat friendly hounds are available. Best of luck. :D

As others have said local RGTs are great places to look as they assess all their dogs and know which dogs will be right for you (and small fury safe!)

I have one ex-racer, and one failed racer that was only 18 months when I got him, and they live very happily with my grumpy old cat, and are pretty good with my family's chickens etc too.

Good luck!

xEmiliex said:
Have sent you a PM

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back