The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Greyhound Sales In Limerick

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
greyhoundp said:
what really happens in this sport then there would be a big boycott of it
As a recent kennelhand at a greyhound Trainers its not the spectators that keep the racing going its the Bookies, if you took the bookies away from the Greyhounds, in other words the income the greyhound racing receives from the Bookies there would be no more racing, that i guarantee. I believe it is somwhere around £6 million pounds that the Bookies pays to greyhound racing, so how much are the Bookies making out of greyhound racing??, millions upon millions.

but surely its the general public/spectators who give their money to the bookies who then take their bets?yes the bookies make money from it but its not their money its the publics.without the public the bookies wouldnt be taking any money.and if the general public were made more aware of what REALLY goes on in greyhound racing and how many dogs are put to sleep every year then maybe they would choose to spend their money elsewhere.its the same old story.EDUCATION. :thumbsup:

Yes it is the public; because here is a relevant statement "We can do without Bookies, but the Bookies cannot do without us" however what you must try to understand there is the public as in general, and there is the Gambling public who will Bet on 2 flys running up a wall, it is those hard core gamblers who Greyhound Racing is aimed at. There is something now called virtual racing as i understand it, it is greyhound racing computerised ie same as live racing but no live dogs, just computerised racing, and people gamble on it, so there are 2 directions possible,

1/ To try and educate the Gambling Public which i don,t think is possible or they do not want. 2/. To persuade the Bookmakers that Virtual racing is the way they should be going, the Bookmakers run and own 6 of there own tracks; Monmore Green, Crayford,Romford,Hove,Newcastle and Sunderland, all of that costs money and hassle, virtual racing costs very little.

Now if Bookmakers could be persuaded to sell up there tracks, and go virtual entirely then that would see the end of Greyhound racing as we know it. ;)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back