The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Ground Conditions In The Summer

Caravan Monster

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
What is peoples experience of foot injuries caused when exercising the dogs during the summer and the ground is baked hard? Ideas on avoiding injuries?

Caravan Monster said:
What is peoples experience of foot injuries caused when exercising the dogs during the summer and the ground is baked hard? Ideas on avoiding injuries?
Just dont take the chance,and swim them instead,if posible.

billyboy45 said:
Caravan Monster said:

walk them ,swim them no free running,common sence will tell u that :- "

Last edited by a moderator:
THECAP said:
billyboy45 said:
Caravan Monster said:

walk them ,swim them no free running,common sence will tell u that :- "

also if u av a beach close to hand u can run on soft sand

Ooo did someone mention the beach? Can I bring my frisbee?

17062007025edited.jpg

I take mine through some meadows as well which are quite soft underfoot.

In the past if i was getting Maddy ready for a race and the ground was too hard i took her to a greyhound gallop where the ground was made up of sand, shavings and compost...hope this helps

Thanks for replies (been offline for a month thanks to drunk person reprogramming network). Not too many beaches in the midlands, but I agree swimming is great exercise. I' ve come across a few people who let their dogs run free in the summer and thought this was unwise. Don' t take chances anymore myself after letting my saluki x off the lead in what I thought was a 'safe' area on a fairly hot day. Of course, a hare got up right in front of her (pre- ban); result: dog collapsed when she finally gave up, but luckily recovered fully, apart from broken toe. Nearly finished me off too, running home, carrying said dog.

:angry: The problem i have with one of my boys is, he goes mad in the cage whils't waiting to race or course, result knocked up toes. This weekend another knocked up toe., i also muzzle him because he bites hell out of the cage and brakes his teeth. If i hold him on the lead he just wears hmself out before its his turn. Any suggestions would be realy helpful, but keep in mind that we have 3 dogs to race, course so at one point one of them has to be caged. My Trenty is just a nutter and loves what he does. :lol: Diane.

gabbitas31 said:
:angry: The problem i have with one of my boys is, he goes mad in the cage whils't waiting to race or course, result knocked up toes. This weekend another knocked up toe., i also muzzle him because he bites hell out of the cage and brakes his teeth. If i hold him on the lead he just wears hmself out before its his turn. Any suggestions would be realy helpful, but keep in mind that we have 3 dogs to race, course so at one point one of them has to be caged. My Trenty is just a nutter and loves what he does. :lol: Diane.
You'll laugh at this one.A Belfast man once had a greyhound,who was summit the same.To sort out the problem about the dog doin his nut in the kennel's,they had a little pocket sewn onto his kennel coat,and i dont know how they managed it,but in the pocket was a wee radio thingy,and the dog had earphone's in his ear's,so as he could'nt hear the other dog's ,or the hare going.This is true,though i dont know how they managed to keep the thing's in his ear's. ...Billy... ( No it was'nt Stormy.)

Last edited by a moderator:
:) I haven't tried ear plugs yet, might give that a go. :- " My latest thought is the electric training collar to give him a zap when he starts clawing at the cage, and before anybody says this is unfare to the dog, i think a broken toe will hurt more in the long run with old age, than one quick shock, that might stop him doing it. Thanks Billy for that information about the greyhound. :thumbsup: Diane.

perspex on the inside of the cage door so he when he scrables it doesnt do any harm also unable to chew it :thumbsup:

all you need to do is cut a bit to size drill some holes and cable tie it on. of course make sure still enough air circulation. See you at Peterborough.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back