The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Handicap for Supreme Run Off

What handicap would you prefer for supreme run off at straight champs?

• Current 1yd / lb

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2ft / lb

• 1/2yd / lb

• Handicapped from time of class win

• Alternate over 3 years - yd/lb - 1/2yd / lb - 2ft / lb

• 2 Supremes - Lightweight / Heavyweight

• Bugger it - put finalists all off scratch :-)

• Not bothered

• Other (add you suggestions!)

• Total voters

Vicky

Maid Your Point
Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
At scotty's request!

I think i've got the jist of what people have suggested.

How about "distance" FRONT DOG for a start then consider which handicap would be fairest.

the champioships is the highlight of the year and one that has always been as it is,

we say leave it as it is......... :p

;) obviously pple with the small dogs will say leave it as it is as at he minute they have the advantage always getting a start. I think the fairest way is to alternate each year. I think thats a great idea. :D

highlight of the year with 50% of the finalists pulling out I dont think so.

With regards to the 3yr method ... what if your heavier dog reaches it's peak in the particular year that the finals run at yd/lb ? Next time it comes round to maybe half yard per pound your dog might be past it's peak ready to run as a veteran or just up and coming and not at it's peak of performance.

Not very fair if you look in that sense.

e.g 30lber barely 15mths old at straight champs run with 1/2yd per pound finals might not make final due to not being at it's peak due to young age ... the following year 30lber is now 2yrs old faster than previous year but finds itself giving more yardage if it makes supreme final ... the following year 3 years of age (considered by most for a dogs age at peak ability) the dog is running really well, makes the supreme final only to find it is not giving that 19lber not 5 and a half yds, nor 7yds 1ft but 11yds start. Hardly the fairest system all round.

HAVE TO AGREE FLEESH .....LEAVE THE CHAMPIONSHIPS AS THEY ARE :p

I say leave it as it is.

This will encourage people to breed smaller dogs not encourage people to breed bigger dogs.

maybe if it was split into a light weight heavy weight sup ..you might not get people lifting there 32 plus lbs into the scr racing ....

dee

Ive seen big dogs breed out of 2 little ones john ...i say we should start and cater for them ..its not fair them pulling out of the finals because they are giving to many yards away, it breaks a dogs heart

i think this is why peter with show three goes into the scr racing apart from title statues on the straight what else could she gain other than scr sup...i would do the same thing if i owned this bitch

;) I PROPOSED TO HAVE A LIGHTWEIGHT & HEAVYWEIGHT SUPREME LAST YEAR, IT DID"NT GET PAST THE TOP TABLE,I WAS TOLD IT WAS NOT WORKABLE.

WAS THERE A REASON FOR IT NOT BEING WORKABLE JOHN. :oops: -_- :wacko:

HAVE TO AGREE WITH JOHN NOBLE WE SHOULD BE ENCOURAGING PEOPLE TO BREED SMALLER NOT BIGGER 8) Pete.

Last edited by a moderator:
;) WAS JUST TOLD IT WAS NOT WORKABLE WHY I DONT KNOW!!!!!!!!

John, last year there were a lot of proposals put forward but when they got the the "committee and reps" for reasons unknown they were thrown out and they WERE workable (I saw the full list). Also, regarding breeding smaller dogs, we tried that by using Mad Return (20lbs) to our bitch Saxon Honey 35lbs hoping to bring the size down and it didn't work we ended up with 27lbs, 31/32lbs, 37lbs and 43lbs. The father on Saxon Honey was Dream Vision and a small sprint greyhoudn 43lbs. We expected a couple to throw big but NOT the whole litter. Yet years ago we used Mo Evil 32lbs to a 20lbs bitch and got small off-spring. Mind boggling don't you think??? :p

I think 2ft/lb is the fairest.East Ayrshire run their open at 2ft/lb and anybody that has been there will tell you that it is very close racing.

:D HAVE TO AGREE 2ft/bl HAS TO BE BEST, HAS FOR BREEDING SMALLER DOGS, 17lb DOG TO 22lb BITCH AND WE GOT 32lb DOG NOT THAT I'AM COMPLAINING WE HAVE THE BEST H.W IN THE COUNTRY,AND HE DID BEAT KIRBY AND SHOOTING STAR Yd /bl OVER 165, I JUST THINK THAT WE HAVE ALL GOT A BETTER RACE WITH 2ft/bl :b

i would just add that if dogs are all crossing the line together, that would be safer for the lighter dogs, than having a 32LB dog going in to the pack well after the lighter dog has won :unsure:

I THINK MORE CLUBS SHOULD TRY AND LEAD THE WAY BY VARYING THERE TOP TEN OPENS, i.e, 2FT/LB. WHEN IT IS YD/LB THE HEAVY DOGS W/D WHEN HALF/LB THE LIGHTWEIGHT USUALLY W/D JUST A THOUGHT :cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
:D got to agree with the last tow posts. Like rowland said wouldnt there be less chance of injury with a 32lb er more or less going over the line together with a smaller dog as its not giving stacks of yards away. Therfore coming really hard at the end when the littlwe dog will already be at the rag?

:wacko: eh posted half way thru wot i was saying??? odd anyway I also agree with John wouldnt it be better if clubs aternated the format every now and then instead of always being your usual yards for pounds when inevitably a lightweight will nearly always win and heavyweights will nearly always pull out.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back