The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Handicap for Supreme Run Off

What handicap would you prefer for supreme run off at straight champs?

• Current 1yd / lb

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2ft / lb

• 1/2yd / lb

• Handicapped from time of class win

• Alternate over 3 years - yd/lb - 1/2yd / lb - 2ft / lb

• 2 Supremes - Lightweight / Heavyweight

• Bugger it - put finalists all off scratch :-)

• Not bothered

• Other (add you suggestions!)

• Total voters

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
:wacko: whats going on? its happened again posted halfway thru? It seems that the clubs at the minute are changing their format what with aycliffe having a 2 foot per pound open on on b h mon some great races. Maltby half a yard a pound open on which I think they do every year again some great racing. The Jodami open was the usual yard per pound so in the last few weeks it seems that everybody has been catered for. Lets hope it stays like this as it makes the racing far more interseting. ;)

The Scottish Championships have had some close racing at 150 yards front dog 2ft lb. It would be good to see more opens using a similar format but in my opinion the main Championships should stay at 1 yd lb although a split to have a heavyweight and lightweight supreme could be looked at.

Have to agree with sherry on that, :D all have been catered for over the last few weeks because there has been opens on at 2ft a pound, 1/2yd a pound and yard a pound, and all is happy?? I to think the possibility of having two supreme run offs should be given consideration that way the bigger dogs can be catered for :p :))

:p I dont remember ther ever being a heavyweight winning supreme scratch please correct me if Im wrong. So yes the possiblity of a supreme lightweight and a supreme heavyweight is probably the fairest. I cant remember who said it but they said somat about keep it as it is and maybe that way pple will breed smaller. Does that said person want all whippets to be lightweights? I think its far more intersesting as it is now with lots of different weight groups. My particular faveourite being the scratch but I enjoy watching all the dogs race. ;)

whippets come in all sizes, who is to say that a scratch dog is not a whippet??

makes sence to have a lightweight run off and a heavyweight run off......whippet racing has to change with the times, that way you keep all happy??/ we hope lol :oops:

johnnoble said:
I say leave it as it is.  This will encourage people to breed smaller dogs not encourage people to breed  bigger dogs.
I MUST SAY I HAVE TO AGREE WITH WHAT JOHN NOBLE SAYS ABOUT BREEDING SMALLER?? THE HANDICAP WEIGHT FINISHES AT 32LB. NEXT COMES SCRATCH RACING FOR WHICH I HAVE NO PROBLEM AGAINST. SOME REALLY GOOD RACING WITH THE BIG DOGS. :p

BUT TO BE FAIR TO THE HEAVYWEIGHTS... IE UPTO 32LB I THINK TWO SUPREME RUN OFFS WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA :p

;) pat why do u feel the need for people to breed smaller? Just wondering would u like all whippets to be lightweights? You say u have no problem with scratch but then u say encourage pple to breed smaller? Im confused now. lol :blink: Like I said in a previous post I like to watch whippets of all sizes competing and I do think it is a shme when a heavyweight pulls out of the supreme. Why? because they no they stand no chance because they are giving far too many yards away. :(

The reason i say breed smaller is simple?? i watched a bend meeting the other year and saw a 70 odd pound WHIPPET?? race, it won??? but the other WHIPPETS in its race looked like whippets......the whippet?? that won was massive, so when do you stop calling a whippet A WHIPPET?? maybe when it is over a certain limit??/

erm and i aint the only one to say breed smaller if you look so go on ask them WHY TOO (w00t)

;) if u look Pat u will see that I already did I just cud not remember who had posted. ;)

:(WOULD JUST LIKE TO SAY THE 68LB WHIPPET IS RARE SORRY I DONT RACE BENDS SO CANT REALY COMMENT. HOWEVER WHAT I CAN SAY (which ive said in the past) IS MOST OF YOUR NO LIMITS DONT GO OVER THE SIZE OF 50LB I THINK ANY BIGGER THAN THIS AND U WOULD FIND IT EXTREMLY HARD TO GET THEM IN TRAPS ON THE STARIGHTS AS I THINK MOST NO LIMIT RACERS WILL AGREE. WHAT I CANT UNDERSTAND IS WHY PEOPLE DONT SEEM TO LIKE THE BIG DOGS, THEY WILL NEVER BE RUNNING AGAINST LIGHTWEIGHTS SO WHAT IS THE PROBLEM? WHEN IS A WHIPPET TOO SMALL IS ANOTHER QUESTION? I DONT MEAN TO OFFEND ANYONE BY THIS POST BUT JUST WONDERING WHY PEOPLE WANT PEOPLE TO BREED SMALLER AND I DONT JUST MEAN U PAT I MEAN IN GENERAL. :(

Dont worry sherry brings em all out answering lol, as far as i can see there is no problem identified with the people who race little whippets???seems to be a problem for some who race BIG whippets though?? well so long as we can all race them is the main issue , and according to the voting poll it would appear people want it to stay the same as it as always been......... :p

doin a fleesh :oops: i missed a letter out so had to edit (w00t)

Last edited by a moderator:
Of the people who have voted, less than half want it to stay as it is now.

13 to stay as it is, out of 37 votes cast.

Your right even though stay has the most votes - more than half have voted for a change! It's definitely something that needs looking at!

JoJess said:
as far as i can see there is  no problem identified with the people who race little whippets???
Thats funny Pat as i haven't a whippet racing over 20 lbs and it was me that first asking the question.

Seems alot of people are unhappy with the present sup run off at yard a pound.

I personally would like to see 2 sup run offs light weight and heavy weight.

:D as far as I can see that to me would probably be the fairest. I did vote for the change every year over 3 years but after reading posts I have changed my mind and think 2 supremes would be the fairest. Inevitably at the minute a lightweight will win!!!! ;)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back